Error getting MoCA data
MerkinChief

Because Verizon CustSvc messed up our appointment and can't get a technician for another 8 days, I'm asking here.

I have been with FiOS for a while and just a couple days ago bought a new TV to replace the one in my living room.  Never had any service issues with the first TV.  Now after uninstalling the old one and hooking up the new one, I'm getting no service to the box at all, with the message saying "Error getting MoCA data".  Obviously, I'm not getting the signal to the box.

I have no other issues with service elsewhere in the house, whether it be service on the other TVs, web access or phone access.

Is this simply a matter of a faulty coaxial cable? A bad splitter?  What should a novice like myself be able to do without having to wait more than a week to enjoy his new 58" cinema wide 3D LED smartTV?

0 Likes
Re: Error getting MoCA data
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whoever installed the new TV must have been unplugging and plugging cables.  Make sure the coax is connected properly to the set-top-box and to the wall outlet.  It should be screwed in tightly at both ends.

The box has two cable connectors.  One is the input, usually labeled "FiOS" and the other is an RF output for older SD TV's.  If the cable was removed when the new TV was installed an mistakenly connected to the RF out instead of the FiOS in, that is your problem.

If it is connected to the correct input, make sure the cable is connected properly to the wall jack.  Check that the cable wasn't damaged; that can happen if it get's pinched when furniture and equipment is moved.  Try another cable if you have one.  If you have a splitter and other equipment sharing the same wall connection, make sure all the cables are good.  Try another splitter, too.  If that still doesn't help, open up the wall box to make sure it and the cable inside wasn't damaged.

If you still can't find the problem, try moving set-top boxes around your home to figure out which jacks work and which don't.  Then, trace all the way back to the ONT checking splitters and connections as you go.

However, chances are very good that the problem is near your TV, since that is where changes were made.

Good Luck!

Re: Error getting MoCA data - Check ALL Cables
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

MerkinChief wrote:

... a couple days ago bought a new TV to replace the one in my living room .... I'm getting no service to the box at all, with the message saying "Error getting MoCA data".  ... Is this simply a matter of a faulty coaxial cable? A bad splitter? ... 

In addition to the comments by "gs0b," it would help if you describe the wiring between the STB and the new TV.  As indicated, when a sudden malfunction occurs immediately following a change in wiring, then the wiring itself is the most likely culprit.  If after checking and reconnecting all coax connections and all connections between the STB and the TV, the TV is still not getting data, then we can start suspecting the equipment itself.

0 Likes