Ethernet Only in Home
only1jva

Hello everyone. I only have ethernet run throughout my house, no coax.

I actually ONLY have a single Coax cable run from my garage where the ONT is to my basement where my Verizon router and network rack is. 

I just picked up Fios TV and the main STB apparently requires Coax, as we know. Which means I have a completely useless STB in my basement while I'm using Minis everywhere else in my house over Ethernet back to the Verizon Router. 

Does anyone know of a way to either:

• Convert Coax to Ethernet and back to Coax so I could use the main STB elsewhere where there is no Coax? (I'm paying for an STB and can't use it because of how my house is wired unfortunately)
  • Get the main STB to work over Ethernet as opposed to Coax?

Seems I need something opposite of a MOCA adapter but don't think it even exists. 

Any thoughts or advice? I don't want to have to run Coax to another part of my house just to be able to use that main STB. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet Only in Home
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main box requires coax so it can tune to the linear TV channels.  The mini's use the tuners in the main box, which converts linear TV channels to IP data streams that can be sent over the LAN.  It's almost 1Gz of RF spectrum carrying 100's of channels.  Somewhere around 6Gbps of data for all the channels.  Linear TV cannot be simply converted to IP without something like the main box.

If you want to use Verizon's set-top-boxes, you have to have coax connected between the ONT and the main box.

Even if you used TiVOs, you's still need coax to access the linear TV channels.

You could put the main box near the ONT then use only minis in the rest of your house.

You can only go pure IP (Ethernet) if you use over-the-top TV services link YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, and so on.

View solution in original post

Re: Ethernet Only in Home
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main box requires coax so it can tune to the linear TV channels.  The mini's use the tuners in the main box, which converts linear TV channels to IP data streams that can be sent over the LAN.  It's almost 1Gz of RF spectrum carrying 100's of channels.  Somewhere around 6Gbps of data for all the channels.  Linear TV cannot be simply converted to IP without something like the main box.

If you want to use Verizon's set-top-boxes, you have to have coax connected between the ONT and the main box.

Even if you used TiVOs, you's still need coax to access the linear TV channels.

You could put the main box near the ONT then use only minis in the rest of your house.

You can only go pure IP (Ethernet) if you use over-the-top TV services link YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, and so on.