Ethernet Port Activation in IMG 1.9?
jtb2tab

What are the plans, if any, for activating the Ethernet port in the back of the STB for IMG 1.9 release?  This would make the lives of many Verizon customers much more easy - with gaming systems, TVs, and BluRay players nowadays requiring internet connectivity.  It drives me crazy that the Ethernet out port actually exists on the back of the STB, but is disabled.  Really long Ethernet cables extending across the house are no fun.

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet Port Activation in IMG 1.9?
prisaz
Legend

@jtb2tab wrote:

What are the plans, if any, for activating the Ethernet port in the back of the STB for IMG 1.9 release?  This would make the lives of many Verizon customers much more easy - with gaming systems, TVs, and BluRay players nowadays requiring internet connectivity.  It drives me crazy that the Ethernet out port actually exists on the back of the STB, but is disabled.  Really long Ethernet cables extending across the house are no fun.

I do not believe there are any plans for enabling that port. That port is for using the Ethernet to the STB. Sort of what TiVo does. Verizon had chosen to use MOCA, which simplfies installation. If the Ethernet port were active, you would need Ethernet and coax to the TV hardware at each location, such as with TiVo.

So if you need ethernet at a TV location, all you would need is a Bi-drectional coax splitter and a moca bridge. Or use wireless, which I do not care for myself. I have chosen to run Ethernet to each room in my house. Older CAT5 at 10/100, and moca is faster.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Don't Forget ethernet is slower than COAX and MOCA and as a technology choice for a company that expects to deliver

100mbs plus to each home, that it doesn't make a lot of sense to use ethernet. 

USB suffers the same fate, it's too slow.

So Coax and eSATA are the announced ways so far for them to deliver high bandwidth IP across the network 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Those EB2200 and HME2200 Actiontec Moca Bridges are Super nice.   if you need to extend your network to a room, then that is a great way to do it. 

Verizon is supposed to start offering these, so you may even want to do a chat session to see if they have a clue yet,    don't call in,  I really really doubt anyone over the phone will even know what you're talking about unless you got really lucky.

if you do call in, just ask them if they have an equipment ordering page, and if they see any of the two models or the key words moca bridge.   

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@jtb2tab wrote:

Even if they did enable it, it would not do you any good for gaming or anything else. That ethernet port is for internet access for the STB itself. It would not provide access for another device. If they enabled it, you would have to run an ethernet cable from it to the router so the STB would have internet access. It would not give you a connection to connect a computer to the internet. 

0 Likes