Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites
horn1993

Tim - I don't see the favorites option on the FIOS TV Central web site either... any advice on what to do to bring it up?

I have 2 boxes - one HD DVR v.1.6 and one HD.  Media manager not running...

thanks!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@horn1993 wrote:

Tim - I don't see the favorites option on the FIOS TV Central web site either... any advice on what to do to bring it up?

thanks!

It looks as if managing favorite channel lists is a Remote DVR feature that is "Available to Home Media DVR subscribers only. "
FiOS TV Remote DVR FAQ's 
This is the URL when you are logged into TV Central. 
"FiOS TV Remote DVR gives you the ability to record shows online using the FiOS TV Central website. In addition, it allows you to manage your DVR Schedules, Recordings, Favorite channel lists, Video on Demand, Bookmarks and Parental Controls."
 Remote DVR is only available to customers who subscribe to Home Media DVR Service, which includes Multi-Room DVR and Media Manager. Additionally, Remote DVR is only available in those areas that have the new Interactive Media Guide (IMG) for the set top box. Order Home Media DVR today!
0 Likes
CeeZee

@prisaz wrote:

@horn1993 wrote:

thanks!

It looks as if managing favorite channel lists is a Remote DVR feature that is "Available to Home Media DVR subscribers only. "
FiOS TV Remote DVR FAQ's 
"FiOS TV Remote DVR gives you the ability to record shows online using the FiOS TV Central website. In addition, it allows you to manage your DVR Schedules, Recordings, Favorite channel lists, Video on Demand, Bookmarks and Parental Controls."
 Remote DVR is only available to customers who subscribe to Home Media DVR Service, which includes Multi-Room DVR and Media Manager. Additionally, Remote DVR is only available in those areas that have the new Interactive Media Guide (IMG) for the set top box. Order Home Media DVR today!

And Home Media DVR is not available if you use a Mac.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@CeeZee wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@horn1993 wrote:

thanks!

FiOS TV Remote DVR FAQ's 

And Home Media DVR is not available if you use a Mac.
Vista 64-bit either from what I have been told. Though the remote features or multiroom DVR do not require you to use the Home Media DVR software as far as I know. But if you pay for the PC features you should be able to get them all. I have had FIOS from the beginning but have held off on this feature. You could get these option and not have the software loaded for sharing your PC stuff. I don't want my stuff shared anyway.
0 Likes
CeeZee
Prisaz, thanks for the clarification! I wouldn't want to use the other sharing features either - just the remote programming.
0 Likes
wilmepe
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks Justin. This is a great document. It will help me skip all those channels that I don't care for.
0 Likes
m_archer92

Very nice guide there.

Well put together also.

0 Likes
Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites - watch what you FAV
NewOrderrr

This may help people who wish to quickly setup the favorites along the lines of how I feel the PDF author intended.

1)  Go to the following menu:

-- 'Menu' -> 'Settings' -> 'Favorite Channels' -> 'Favorite 1' - 'Add All Channels' -- and select Yes

2)  Hit 'Last' key to go back to the 'Favorite Channels' menu and be sure that the Favorites Button is set to 'Toggle Flip by Favorites', and be sure that Flip by Favorites is set to 'Favorites 1'

3)  Exit the menu

4)  Go to the lowest channel number you can on the STB (probably channel 2)

5)  Start flipping the Channel + button to cycle through the channels

6)  When you see a channel you don't want to watch, hit the Option button on the remote, and select 'Remove from  Favorites 1'

7)  Hit the Option key again to leave the Option menu.

😎  Repeat steps 5 - 8 (hitting channel + and using the Option menu to remove channels) until you have gone through the whole list.

This method will set up the Favorites 1 list to have all of the channels you want to watch, ignoring the ones you don't when you have Favorites 1 selected with the Fav button and use CH + and -.

The Favorites 2 list can be set up to have your real Favorites  by only adding the channels you really, really like with the Option key.

I hope this helps anyone having trouble knowing what channel they are trying to fav. That is why I am writing this out, because it took me a little while to figure out what channel I was removing from the list, since I wasn't up to speed yet with the new channels I am getting from FIOS.

Steve (aka NewOrderrr)

Note: I am using a Motorola HD DVR QIP 7216 1, with firmware 1.6.2.  I have the black remote with the green OK button

Message Edited by NewOrderrr on 03-31-2009 06:32 PM
0 Likes
Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites - watch what you FAV
Justin46
Legend

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to write up your procedure. It certainly does make for asimpler process, and the end result is the same, getting one or two Favorites lists created the way you want them.

Just to clarify, I wrote the article the way I did for several reasons:

1) I have had FiOS TV since Sept. 2005, so I was very familiar with what channels were avaialble, and which ones I wanted to include in my Favorites.

2) I probably have less than 1/4 of the available channels in my Favorites list (and I only have one list), so I decided to add the ones I wanted, rather than remove the ones I didn't want, just fewer steps. When doing mass adds or mass deletes, I just find doing it through the menu to be faster (or at least easier for me).

3) I have the one Favorites list for the channels I watch, and then I just use the Favorites (Heart) button to switch to the all channels mode when I want to surf through my non-favorites, or see whether any new channels have appeared.

I note that you have the 1.6.2 level of the IMG. I do not yet have that level; have you seen anything that I wrote up that has changed in 1.6.2? I won't get the new level until April 14 as I understand it.  

Again, thanks for posting what you did, it gives folks another option for setting up the Favorites. And as I documented, I do use the Option method for adding or removing channels, usually though for just one channel at a time.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Claudia
My only complaint about FIOS is not having the ability to sort and create lists of channels.  I would prefer having the ability to sort the entire line-up to see all of the news channels as a group, or all the local channels in a group, or all educational channels, or all foreign language channels, or whatever "grouping" I would like to create.  I use the favorites lists extensively to get to this, but because I can't sort into as many categories as I wish, having only 2 favoriste lists is sometimes limiting and frustrating.
0 Likes