Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, you're not confused - it's me who's a little dense.  I did read your document, but didn't quite get the connection.  The term "flipping" which Fios uses didn't make sense to me - it seemed a lot simpler with Directv.  However after your gentle reminders, I went back and decided to just follow your directions.  It works fine now.  Thanks for being patient.  One gets so used to terminology with one company that it takes a little push or two to get us to move to something new.  I'm happy so far with FIOS.  Now if they can just get that caller-id to display on the TV screen - we'll be making progress.  You'd think the phone company would have been the first to offer that simple feature.  I know, I know - it may be a limitation of the Motorola STBs, but that shouldn't be hard to overcome. 

Thanks again,

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to contact the forum administrator?  I have had a heck of a time logging in.  Had to change user-id, screen name, and password several times to finally get back in here.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Glad you got it working! And yes, the terminology is at best what I would call "strange" but once I finally figured it out I thought others might have the same problems I did, so that is why I wrote the procedure up.

Caller-id on the TV? You really want the phone company to do that??? Just kidding Smiley Very Happy  , I agree, I don't understand why that was not in the first release of the FiOS TV service way back in 2005. It is rumored to be coming, but who knows, I certainly don't. One thing you can do is see if you can get Verizon Call Assistant. This is a free service that allows you to see calls to your phone on one of Verizon's websites. It also offers a client program that you can install that will give you a pop-up on your monitor whenever the phone rings - actually it pops up a second or two betore the phone starts ringing. It also will display all of your calls in a list on the PC so you don't have to go to the website. As I said, it is free, not an acceptable replacement for on the TV screen, but better than nothing. Ihave used it for many months, no problem, but some people report that it sometimes makes their PCs unusable, consuming excessive amounts of memory and processor resources.

The login problem is apparently a known issue. There have been a number of posts about it. I have never experienced it myself, but others do, for some reason. Contacting the administrator or a moderator is the right path I think. 

As to contacting the administrator or a moderator:  probably the easiest way is to send one of them a Private Message (PM). I suggest sending a message to KaLin, she is one of the moderators and is online very often. On the right side of the window when you are looking at the list of forums there is some info about how many users are on line, etc, and at the bottom of that is a link to view all users online - just click on that, find a moderator or administrator that you want to communicate with, click on their name, and then click on the "send this user a private message" link. (If you already know the name you want to communicate with, on the main forum page just click on the envelope icon on the upper right part of the window).

Hope the above helps. Welcome to FiOS, I hope you like it, I have had FiOS service now for almost 4 years and am very happy with it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, thanks, and for all of the info as well.  I have no doubt that I will enjoy FIOS - it offers some significant advantages over my old Directv service - particularly in the on demand service.  I'll miss a few nifty features that Directv's DVR offered, but that's to be expected.  I knew about them before I switched.  I'll also enjoy not occasionally losing service in severe weather - althought that did not happen often.  One feature I already like is the fact that you can "watch a trailer" of a movie before purchasing.  You didn't have that option with Directv.  Any idea about the mini buttons at the bottom of the remote? A,B,C,D.  I have found that the A button brings up the widgets, but the B,C,D buttons do not seem to have a current function.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

You are more than welcome.

As to the A, B, C, D buttons: for now at least, the A button for the Widgets is the only one that works. I have no idea what if anything Verizon may have in the works for the others.

I'd like to make a suggestion to you (and any others that may read this post): it might help in the future if you would update your profile with your location (city and state) if you are willing to do it. There are a couple of reasons: 1) Verizon offers slightly different TV programming in parts of NY and NJ from the rest of the country, and 2) Verizon typically rolls out new features one or two areas of the country at a time, so if you are asking about something or looking for help it will make it easier for people to answer if they know where you are located.

Anyway, glad to help, there are lots of great folks here ready and willing to help, including some excellent Verizon employees.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

dbrennan wrote:

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to contact the forum administrator?  I have had a heck of a time logging in.  Had to change user-id, screen name, and password several times to finally get back in here.

Hi dbrennan,

Would you please post this inthis thread in the forum feedback board??  We're trying to keep all the login issues in one thread so they can be given individual attention -- and so we know exactly how many people are experiencing it.  

Thanks!!

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Justin - good suggestion.  I had done that in my original logon information and profile (which I can no longer access), but after struggling to get re-registered I guess I neglected to do that.  I understand the login situation is being looked at.

Dan

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Yeah they are looking at the login problem. I knew that but forgot that they were trying to keep all of the login problems consolidated in one place, sorry for the bad advice.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sosuzguy
Enthusiast - Level 3
Where do you select flip by favorites?  Is this easily toggled on and off without having to go back and forth in menus?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@sosuzguy wrote:
Where do you select flip by favorites?  Is this easily toggled on and off without having to go back and forth in menus?

The settings are in the Menu, in the same area where you set up your Favorites list, etc.

To toggle the Favorites list being used easily using the Favorites button (the heart), you need to set the Favorites Button value to Toggle Flip by Favorites:

Menu ==> Settings ==> Favorite Channels ==> Favorites Button ==> Toggle Flip by Favorites

Then set which initial setting you want

Menu ==> Settings ==> Favorite Channels ==> Flip by Favorites ==> All Channels or Favorites 1 or Favorites 2

keep in mind that the Flip by Favorites setting you make in the Menu is just an initial setting. If you set it to Favorites 1, for example, then the Guide will display only the channels listed in your Favorites 1 whenever you hit the Guide button. But you can change the Flip By value any time you want by hitting the Favorites button on the remote (just below and to the right of the circular ring of arrow buttons around the OK button). The first time you press the heart you will see the current Flip By setting, each successive press with swicth to the next setting - All Channels (or Favorites 2 if it is set up) in a round-robin mode. So changing the current Flip By Favorites is easily changed at any time, and remains in effect until you change it again.

I hope this answers your question.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sosuzguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perfect - only thing is I'm getting tired of setting up my favorites.

This is the 4th box I've had since January and now this one is messing up.  Next time it does I'm just calling VZ and they can send someone out I'm not messing with anything else.

0 Likes