External HD questions

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: External HD questions

Message 11 of 13
(803 Views)

When I looked at adding an external hard drive (HD) to a QIP-7216 (160G internal) about 8 months ago, the docs from Verizon indicated that I would no longer have access to the internal HD once an external HD is connected.  From posts above it seems that at a minimum, if there are shows already recorded on the internal HD, you can access them for re-play.

So the question that needs clarifying:

With an external AV HD, can I still RECORD to the internal HD?? and how do I select which one to use??

In my case, adding 1TB external HD and giving up the 160G internal HD is a bargain....

But if I had a 7232 with a 500G internal and I added a 1TB external... not so much a bargain...

Any help/clarification appreciated.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 12 of 13
(796 Views)

A 7232 would be a much better experience anyway.

The external hard drive is recorded to first then as it fills up any future recordings will go between the internal and external depending on space needed and used.  You have no control on where the recording resides.  And, as of now, the external is married to the DVR you have.   I would strongly recommend getting a 7232 over your 6 series and I believe there is no charge to do that if you had it a period of time.  CSR's should know.

@wraujr wrote:

When I looked at adding an external hard drive (HD) to a QIP-7216 (160G internal) about 8 months ago, the docs from Verizon indicated that I would no longer have access to the internal HD once an external HD is connected.  From posts above it seems that at a minimum, if there are shows already recorded on the internal HD, you can access them for re-play.

With an external AV HD, can I still RECORD to the internal HD?? and how do I select which one to use??

In my case, adding 1TB external HD and giving up the 160G internal HD is a bargain....

But if I had a 7232 with a 500G internal and I added a 1TB external... not so much a bargain...

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 13 of 13
(781 Views)

@wraujr wrote:

The only way to record to the internal drive once you hook up an external drive is to eject (disconnect) the external drive. No recordings on the external are lost and it can be reconnected to the same DVR at any time.

As was said, system will record to the external until full and then revert back to the internal and then start deleting recordings if space is needed (in that order).

Also with the external attached you can still access any recordings that were previously made on the internal drive.

Hope that clears up the mud Smiley Wink

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.