External Hard Drive Stopped Working
EngTech3
So, a few weeks ago, I purchased a 2tb Fantom external hard drive to extend storage on my box. All was well until today when my box was upgraded to 1.9.1. Now my hard drive isn't even recognized. Verizon has been no help. Now, before I return my hard drive, can someone please tell me if my recordings will ever be accessible, or should I just give up and send it back? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: External Hard Drive Stopped Working
savant1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My external drive works fine in 1.9.1, although it is possible that the update caused it not to recognize certain drives or sizes. You can try the usual procedures of rebooting both the drive and the DVR, selecting Enable More Storage in the DVR menu, and check if it appears as an option in the DVR sub menu. Check the eSATA cables as well.

If it still doesn't work, it could be a drive failure, or the drive could be fine but the external case/power supply is bad. A PC with an eSATA port would be your best tool to check the drive and case/power-supply, and if the PC BIOS or Windows Disk Manager doesn't see it, you would want to rule out the case being bad by pulling the drive out of the case and connecting to the PC's internal SATA port. (Of course you want to make sure that you don't format the drive in Windows Smiley Surprised)

View solution in original post

savant1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My external drive works fine in 1.9.1, although it is possible that the update caused it not to recognize certain drives or sizes. You can try the usual procedures of rebooting both the drive and the DVR, selecting Enable More Storage in the DVR menu, and check if it appears as an option in the DVR sub menu. Check the eSATA cables as well.

If it still doesn't work, it could be a drive failure, or the drive could be fine but the external case/power supply is bad. A PC with an eSATA port would be your best tool to check the drive and case/power-supply, and if the PC BIOS or Windows Disk Manager doesn't see it, you would want to rule out the case being bad by pulling the drive out of the case and connecting to the PC's internal SATA port. (Of course you want to make sure that you don't format the drive in Windows Smiley Surprised)

EngTech3
You're absolutely right!!! Funny enough, I was pulling the power cord from the back of the drive... It would power up but wouldn't work. When I pulled power from the outlet, it powered up and was detected! I can't thank you enough!!
0 Likes
RovrAllOvr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes - I have to agree with the original poster.  I spent hours on 'chats' with the offshore Verizon 'help'(less) teams....   They couldn't diagnose - only read from scripts - and wasted a lot of my time.

My hard drive was working fine - and it STILL works fine (checked through PC) - but all of a sudden after the last firmware upgrade - my external storage is no longer working and all attempts to re-recognize cause the DVR to go into a steady state of the blinking white light.  If I disconnect the storage - the DVR boots fine.

Has anyone in the community (since Verizon cannot help) had any succesful work-arounds?  

Again (recap):

External drive - powers up fine and is recognized in a PC

DVR - works until external storage attempt,  worked fine before last firmware upgrade.

Sign me - frustrated and searching for help that Verizon does not provide

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi RovrAllOvr,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".  There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

RovrAllOvr,

We haven't heard back from you in a few days & are proceeding to close the private support case.  If you still need help go ahead and start a new post.

Thanks,
Paul C.

0 Likes