Re: External Hard Drive for DVR?
pixed
Enthusiast - Level 3

uscharalph:

Where are you located?

0 Likes
RiNkRaT72

Not sure what the answer was to the question about adding an External Hard Drive to the QIP6416-2 unit.  Can you hook one up via USB, FireWire or SATA?  Does it need a firmware upgrade? Sorry if repeating questions, but I got a little confused from the prior posts.  Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
uscharalph

uscharalph?  -  Where are you located?

I'm in Long Beach (Signal Hill actually)

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
As stated on the first page of this thread the answer is no external hard drive is supported on your model box.
0 Likes
surgey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 7216 unit, all three of these ports are purposely disabled by verizon's firmware.

I had to go out and buy a REAL DVR (tivo) because of this.

They should have just put duct tape over all three ports since they are more than likely NEVER going to be enabled.

Would have saved me a lot of time going to the store and buying drives and returning them.

0 Likes
pixed
Enthusiast - Level 3
Have been told by someone within Verizon, with knowledge, who says they expect to go live with Esata external drive capability on the 7216 shortly after 1st of year. Would not give exact time frame. but I do trust him.
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@pixed wrote:
Have been told by someone within Verizon, with knowledge, who says they expect to go live with Esata external drive capability on the 7216 shortly after 1st of year. Would not give exact time frame. but I do trust him.
What about those poor saps (i.e. me) who have the 6416 box?  Do we get to swap out for the 7216?  Please?  Pretty please?  Verizon (Kathleen), are you listening?..... Bueller?... Bueller?
Message Edited by CapnTrips on 10-27-2008 04:20 PM
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1
To be honest, I'd rather have the ability to upgrade the internal Hard Drive.  With 1TB drives costing ~$110-$120, it would be more cost effective doing this and not have to deal with extra hardware taking up additional space and power.  It sucks the firmware is locked to only support 160GB of HD space, regardless of the size drive you put in there.
0 Likes
uscharalph

@CSimpson wrote:
To be honest, I'd rather have the ability to upgrade the internal Hard Drive.  With 1TB drives costing ~$110-$120, it would be more cost effective doing this and not have to deal with extra hardware taking up additional space and power.  It sucks the firmware is locked to only support 160GB of HD space, regardless of the size drive you put in there.
I agree 100%
0 Likes
pixed
Enthusiast - Level 3
Actually, with drives and case so cheap these days, I would rather just plug a drive into the DVR, let it format and be on the way. Did that when I was on Cox. It combined the drives into single drive space.