External QAM Tuner for Local Channels
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to know if anyone can make a recommendation on external QAM Tuner for Local Channels.  I have a local channels plan with Verizon.  My primary TV, in the living room, had a recent update by the manufacturer LG.  The internal tuner seems to have been disabled.  I now don't have access to my local channels.  This stinks because this is how I primarily watch football on Sundays.

I was told I needed an external tuner.   I purchased an eMatic AT103B tuner from my local Walmart, but it didn't work well at all.  It picked up a few channels in the 65-69 channel range, but not the primary channels I'm looking for (CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC).  The tuner worked well, with an antenna, but I'm looking for something that works with my local channels subscription.  A tuner that reads Verizon's clear QAM signal.   Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: External QAM Tuner for Local Channels
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update*

So I was finally able to resolve this issue with the External qam Tuner.  After replacing the eMatic tuner with an Iview-3500stbii, I noticed I was having the same issue.  The tuner wouldn’t scan past the channel 69 range after and automatic scan.  This was the same issue I was having with the eMatic tuner.   I would run the automatic tuner option and it would scan 396 channels, with about 30 actually viewable.  Both tuners scanners up to the channel 69 frequency.  This was frustrating me because Verizon puts all the HD channels at the channel 70 through 79 range.  

I was finally able to figure out that both tuners have a capacity of 396 channels max.  I did a factory reset and scanned each channel manually.  Channel 71, 72, and etc.  This work and I could now get all the HD channel frequency. 

Hopefully this helps others in the future.  The eMatic and Iview are practically the same, but I feel the iview is better quality. 

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you contacted lg about TV? Can't see why they would have disabled tuner.

Did you try rescanning channels?

Is your tuner listed as supporting qam? Does it have a scan function?

Sometimes channels dont start as showing their numbers. That comes via something called psip which is used to convey actual channel info.

0 Likes
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply CRobG, I have not contacted the manufacturer of TV just yet. I’ve researched the issue online, and I’ve read about people complaining to LG with no avail.  

I read that the local channels usually come up on the 71 and 75 channel range for Verizon.  The issue is that the external tuner I purchased only scans up to 67. I get a 498 channels and only about 10 to 15 a viewable. The rest are scrambled channels or the Fios promotional channels showing what’s on PPV.  

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@joeysoamazing wrote:

Thanks for the reply CRobG, I have not contacted the manufacturer of TV just yet. I’ve researched the issue online, and I’ve read about people complaining to LG with no avail.  

I read that the local channels usually come up on the 71 and 75 channel range for Verizon.  The issue is that the external tuner I purchased only scans up to 67. I get a 498 channels and only about 10 to 15 a viewable. The rest are scrambled channels or the Fios promotional channels showing what’s on PPV.

Most external tuners that support qam support scanning for digital cable and will pick up such channels.

LG is quite responsive to tuners not working. Make sure you scanned correctly. And yes only a handful will showup as viewable, the rest scrambled.

0 Likes
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I contacted LG today and I was advised that my particular set 50GA6400 was a TV that they made for Google called a Google TV a few years back.  Apparently Google stopped servicing the TV in 2015, and LG can’t help me further.  They advised me to get an external tuner.  Absolutely no help at all. 

The tuned I purchashed an eMatic AT103B, has QAM capabilities, but won’t pick up anything pass the ch 67 range.  Any suggestions on what will work well for me.  Thanks guys. 

0 Likes
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.  Thanks

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the issue is people using external qam tuners is not common.

Most TVs that are 5 yes old or less have internal qam tuners.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The eMatic AT103B does not appear to support qam.  Its advertised as handling digital broadcast external box.  Probably Atsc 1.0.  As such it only handles the lower number of channels that are broadcast.

0 Likes
joeysoamazing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update*

So I was finally able to resolve this issue with the External qam Tuner.  After replacing the eMatic tuner with an Iview-3500stbii, I noticed I was having the same issue.  The tuner wouldn’t scan past the channel 69 range after and automatic scan.  This was the same issue I was having with the eMatic tuner.   I would run the automatic tuner option and it would scan 396 channels, with about 30 actually viewable.  Both tuners scanners up to the channel 69 frequency.  This was frustrating me because Verizon puts all the HD channels at the channel 70 through 79 range.  

I was finally able to figure out that both tuners have a capacity of 396 channels max.  I did a factory reset and scanned each channel manually.  Channel 71, 72, and etc.  This work and I could now get all the HD channel frequency. 

Hopefully this helps others in the future.  The eMatic and Iview are practically the same, but I feel the iview is better quality. 

gareneau

This is the exact question I am trying to resolve although in my case I only have a Pioneer Kuro monitor used in conjunction with a Pioneer AVR. So I appreciate the input. I am going to call Pioneer and see if they have anything to add to how best to resolve the problem of using a cable pin connector.

0 Likes