External eSATA Hard Drive Trouble
XLR

After approximately 17 months with a Motorola QIP 72161 I added the Verizon recommended WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ eSATA external hard drive.  After approximately one month the STB stopped recognizing the hard drive.  The drive seemed to be functioning OK without the dreaded sound of failure.  After much time with Verizon Tech support they sent me another STB and the Western Digital drive once again worked as it should.  Now after another month the replacement STB again fails to recognize the hard drive and of course it looks like once again I will loose over 50 hours of content not yet screened!  The STB has been rebooted in every possible fashion without it being recognized.  The WD hard drive does power up automatically when the eSATA cable is plugged in if in the off power state.  Often there is a stutter in the picture quality on live TV after the cable is inserted but again not recognized and the STB states that the units eSATA port is activated.  Now Verizon Tech support through a level 3 chat is saying that my WD eSATA drive could be "burning up" the STB eSATA port!  Really?  The external hard drive just spins as usual although I have no other way to test the drive with my Mac's.  (And I am still holding out on loosing all that content)  Any other suggestions before abandoning this FIOS setup.  Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
Re: External eSATA Hard Drive Trouble
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon support is in receipt of this issue. We will send you a PM to gather additional information.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
manz63

Please include me on the long list of Verizon customers with trouble with External eSATA support on the Motorola QIP 7216. Verizon needs to get current and come clean on this issue! For a current case (as of Jul 03, 2012) The following Cust Ref No's will lead to me and the clueless process I have been lead on (wild goose chase) with no avail. VADQ0A4BSM (STB replacement, got no further the first QIP 7216 I already had), {edited for privacy}(lame transfer to Motorola 888-944-4357 Business Solutions Support ; 877-466-8646 The Comsumer Line). I am trying to obtain a list supported eSATA devices with the QIP 7216.  The device I am using mounts nicely with Windows-7 after it auto-detects and installs the device driver. Why can't the QIP 7216 do the same? My contract is up for renewal, and I going to judge based on this issue and how it gets resolved - or with no confidence - plays out for what another year or two?

0 Likes
manz63

Well, no Verizon replies yet. So I will provide some more detail.

The eSATA interface is being provide by the IO card from Eagle Consus (EagleTech Ca,USA) external housing

http://www.eagletechusa.com/Download/Manual%5CET-CSNSU2-BK.pdf

To a Seagate Barricuda ES.2.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda_es.pdf

Come on Verizon FIOS Tech Support, get with it!  What me to download and attached the device drivers too?

0 Likes
manz63

Ping, Bump, ... whatever you want to call it. I'm waiting for the Verizon FIOS team to respond.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

This is a peer to peer support forum. Employees post from time to time, but they do not monitor it. If you need assistance from Verizon, you should use the Contact Us links at the bottom of this page.

0 Likes
manz63

OK, ... progress (that was a joke if you did not catch the humor) {edited for privacy}

... yet another ticket number:

{edited for privacy}

Please keep me and Mr Goldsmith informed; Carrey and Eric

0 Likes