FIOS+COLD WEATHER +TIVO =NO TV
cmaino

We are in the middle of a sub 32 degree cold streak here in NY. For the past 3 days when the temperature goes down I loose signal strength to all 3 of my Tivos with CableCards. If it heats up during the day the signal comes back. The worst part of it they will not be able to send a tech for 6 days. Does anyone else see this issue?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS+COLD WEATHER +TIVO =NO TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most probable issue is loose connection at your ONT.

Is it outside?

If so, go outside and check they coax connection to ensure it is tight.

May need to use a wrench.

Just make sure not to overtighten.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Although not as cold as your location since I am upstate the issue can be caused by condensation which also occurs in cable hookups.

I am not positive in if fiber has the same issues. But cold then rising temperatures cause a wet condition and many times the connections just short out.

when I had a Time Warner cable I called a few times in really cold weather and when the guy showed up he said it was bad connections on the coaxial 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Although not as cold as your location since I am upstate the issue can be caused by condensation which also occurs in cable hookups.

I am not positive in if fiber has the same issues. But cold then rising temperatures cause a wet condition and many times the connections just short out.

when I had a Time Warner cable I called a few times in really cold weather and when the guy showed up he said it was bad connections on the coaxial 

Remember we're talking fios (i.e.optical here).  So problem is from the ONT to your STB's  Much less weather dependent, but has been known to be a problem with loose or bad connector of the COAX  at the ONT or of couse you on in-hose wiring.

If outside the ONT might be flaking out in the cold, but that is much rarer.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

Remember we're talking fios (i.e.optical here).  So problem is from the ONT to your STB's  Much less weather dependent, but has been known to be a problem with loose or bad connector of the COAX  at the ONT or of couse you on in-hose wiring.

If outside the ONT might be flaking out in the cold, but that is much rarer.

Yep it maybe could be this, or be that or another thing. The problem I am seeing is on looking at my ONT it is locked tight. I know this because I personally locked it tight.

all the connections are tight prior to the ont being closed and locked.

if anything I would say it is a pole issue. Also many customers have their ont in a basement or garage or inside location.

again it has to be from a location outside the ONT.

But strange things can happen.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

OP (who we were responding to) stated it was a SNR issue.

That would most probably come from a coax connection issue.

If it was fiber, signal would drop completely.

Jon,

I thought you were Internet only.

So SNR would not come in to play.

If it is an optical issue, then looking at teh status lights inside your ONT would show if it was have network connectivity issues.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Yep internet only.

i was referring to when we had cable tv/internet and the weather affected the coaxial at the junction on the pole.

I wondered if the weather situation had a simular affect on fiber. 

I also was questioning that if the ONT is located inside a home or garage then the weather should not have a detrimental affect when weather changes.

my last conclusion was that it was a pole connection that was causing the outage when the weather became cold/wet.  Since unless the ONT is situated on the outside and is open (unlocked) then weather can cause issues.

0 Likes