Re: FIOS DVR External Hard Drive
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

lasagna wrote: "I am using a Fantom GreenDrive 2TB eSATA drive for my external storage. No problems. It would appear that just about any eSATA drive as long as it supports the up to 1500 Mbit/s eSATA interface spec will work."

I am interested in your comment because Western Digital is proving to be something of an elusive supplier.  Which particular model Fantom drive are you using, and in general what are the specifications I should consider in choosing an external drive?  Not sure I understand the "doesn't go to sleep" thing, etc.  Thanks.

0 Likes
dave350x
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an FYI.....you can buy the 1T external drive direct from WD.  I bought one 2 weeks ago, works perfect without one issue.  Go the WD website and select the WD Store top right corner.  $129.99 with free shipping.

0 Likes
DannyRo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dave350x wrote:

Just an FYI.....you can buy the 1T external drive direct from WD.  I bought one 2 weeks ago, works perfect without one issue.  Go the WD website and select the WD Store top right corner.  $129.99 with free shipping.

I couldn't find the 129.99 ESata drive in the WD store as you mentioned.  Do you have the model number?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I have made three attempts to order from WD, and in each case the order has be trashed for reasons I cannot determine.  I used three different (100% valid) credit cards, but so far I have not had any sort of reasonable interaction with WD.  Whatsis?

0 Likes
DannyRo1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think I'm just going with the Fantom drive
0 Likes
dave350x
Enthusiast - Level 2
DannyRo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dave350x wrote:

You can try this link.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.220190900/parid.13092400/catid.1309460...

Thanks that worked!  I also used WDCARES promo code for $15 off.  Thanks again!

dzhou1988
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the pointer (and the digital coupon), both worked. Ordered one.

0 Likes
AN1951

I bought an off the shelf G-Drive (Hitachi) eSATA, 2TB drive at Best Buy.

I reformatted it FAT(MBR) from my Mac.  I plugged it in, but the Motorola QIP7232-2 didn't see it.  The "enable" storage function kept returning a "cannot contact server" message.

Verizon walked me through the menu / customer service / agent / fix DVR/STB function and after the reboot my eSATA drive is online.  Both drives show on the DVR status entry.

I do have 1 question about storage management.  I had deleted data from my in-DVR drive to make room last week so it is 88% full.  The external drive shows 100% free.  I see no way to stipulate where to store new recordings.  Does the internal drive fill and the DVR automatically roll over to external storage?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
DannyRo1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I believe it fills up the external drive first by default. Also if you get a new dvr box the shows on the external are not transferable.
0 Likes