FIOS DVR box and external HDD
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it possible to disable on DVR recording to internal disk instead let it recording only on extrnal? I want to switch to Quantum TV but what I see I'm going to lost all shows from the internal disk.

Thanks for any help

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DVR box and external HDD
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

No matter what you do, when you upgrade to a new  box (Quantum or not) you will lose all your recorded programs.  The external HDD is slaved to a single DVR.  If it is attached to a new DVR, it will be reformatted.  Also, the new VMS Quantum boxes do not yet support external hard drives anyway. 

JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

So maybe I can get a new box - set to record anything new there and then watch whatever I have on an old box and then return it to Verizon? But question is how long I can keep an old box?

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

I do not belive that you can keep both boxes active at the same time.  You need to discontect all the old equipment before even installing the new and then it has to be returned within 30 days or you will be charged for it.  

I suggest a recorded program watching marathon. That's what we did.  Had  a lot  of recorded programs.  

Justin46
Legend

@mcorbo wrote:

I do not belive that you can keep both boxes active at the same time.  You need to discontect all the old equipment before even installing the new and then it has to be returned within 30 days or you will be charged for it.  

I suggest a recorded program watching marathon. That's what we did.  Had  a lot  of recorded programs.  

This is excellent advice from mcorbo.

I can guarantee that you cannot have your old FiOS TV DVR attached to the coax when you try to install the VMS equipment, it just flat won't work, the VMS devices will simply not activate, you will get an error.

HOWEVER, I have read that if you disconnect the coax from the DVR and NEVER turn the DVR off or remove power from the box, that you can continue to view existing recordings. I have not tried this myself, so it might be worth testing this before deciding to go ahead and order the new equipment. Or of course better yet would be to have the viewing marathon that mcorbo suggested.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
swahoogie

generally you have 30 days to return the old equipment.

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

How about to keep both DVR boxes connected at the same time? Is going to work or not?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before you can activate Quantum Boxes, all old STBs MUST be disconnected (or at least powered off) or you will have issues with activation.

As it was previously stated, you can leave the old DVR powered up but just disconnected (did it myself when I upgraded).

0 Likes
dhillfl

You can disconnect the coax and still see your recordings. You have 30 days to have the boxes back to VZ.

0 Likes
Stolog
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just went throught this.

I was able to activate the VMS without disconnecting the old DVR without issues.  I have to pick a new name for the VMS.

I kept the old DVR connected and watched live and recorded TV without any issues.

The new VMS and new clients could not see the old DVR.

I did not try to get the old STB to see the old DVR once I setup the VMS, so I don't know about those issues.

Verizon gives you 30 days to send the DVR and other STB back before the bill you.

0 Likes