FIOS HD STB and HD Signal
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Afternoon all,

I have a HD set top box in my bedroom with a 1080p capable LCD TV (Vizio 22"). At present I setup the video on the set top box to 1080i, and my HD channels seem to display fine. The question I have revolves around HD channels whose signal is in 720 vs those that send a 1080 signal. Is the set top box smart enough to know the signal stream coming in, so the display on my TV tells me which signal it is? Do I have to enable something for this? At present any HD channel I flip to shows as though a 1080 signal is coming in, which I know is not true for all HD channels like Fox and ESPN.

Since the set top box is set for 1080i is it smarter to let it convert down to 720, or set it for 720 and convert up to 1080?

Thanks,
Steve

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS HD STB and HD Signal
hobbs
Enthusiast - Level 1

"You can override your SD resolution in the STB.  If you select SD Override OFF, the STB will upconvert your SD signals to 1080i or 720p.  If you select SD Override to 480i or 480p, your SD stations will be passed at 480i or 480p, whichever you select."

So which is the setting for best PQ on a 40" LCD 1080p capable set?

View solution in original post

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

FIOS STBs will only output ONE HD resolution.  You select either 1080i or 720p and all HD content will be sent to your TV (assuming HDMI or Component, not Composite or S-Video connection) wiht that selected resolution.

It is unclear whether FIOS sends the true unaltered signals to your STB and it up/down-converts as necessary to achieve uniform 1080i or 720p.  I have read some posts suggesting that FIOS transmits ALL HD content at 1080i, even if the source is at 720p.  Regardless, your box won't indicate one way or the other what the "source" resolution is, but it will all be output as you select.

You can override your SD resolution in the STB.  If you select SD Override OFF, the STB will upconvert your SD signals to 1080i or 720p.  If you select SD Override to 480i or 480p, your SD stations will be passed at 480i or 480p, whichever you select.

It seems a silly way to run the STBs.  I would prefer that they let all of the source signals pass through unaltered by the STB and allow my higher-end video processors (or even the TV itself!) do any required conversion.

hobbs
Enthusiast - Level 1

"You can override your SD resolution in the STB.  If you select SD Override OFF, the STB will upconvert your SD signals to 1080i or 720p.  If you select SD Override to 480i or 480p, your SD stations will be passed at 480i or 480p, whichever you select."

So which is the setting for best PQ on a 40" LCD 1080p capable set?

SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I have set mine to 1080i and let the STB handle it all.

I will have to try the SD override. I dont like it stretched. Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes