FIOS HD watching NFL can't hear announcers?
foot562

So I have a unique problem with Verizon FIOS. I have an Onyko receiver with 3.1 setup. However does not matter what channel it is HD NBC, HD CBS or HD FOX. I can only hear the crowd noise and the football players on the field but no announcers. However If I watch to SD NBC, FOX or CBS I can hear the game fine. The channels also appear to go up and down some channels work fine some don’t. I’m new to all this if anyone has any ideas or tips please let me know. One other thing everything is connected via HDMI to the receiver.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS HD watching NFL can't hear announcers?
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, I noticed that too.  It is also present on alot of Dolby 5.1 channel material.

I think what is happenning is that they are sending 5.1 WITHOUT the center channel turned on, so all you hear is the background noise or music and the voice, which should be on the center channel, is missing.

I can temp fix it, by telling my A/V Receiver to do Std/PCM stereo, no extra audio channels, which causes the center channel stuff to be put on the right and left speakers.  But you lose all the extra speaker stuff doing that

0 Likes