FIOS Not Working During Power Outage
DaveMcD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Newbie here.  We had DirecTV before switching to FIOS.  During power outages using DirecTV, the system would still work with electricity provided by a portable generator to the pre-wired outlet in our living room at the fuse box.  Other pre-wired items are our refrigerator for example.  When we switched to FIOS, the TV and FIOS boxes were plugged into the same pre-wired outlet in our living room and when transferring power from the house to the generator in an outage, running, no FIOS.  The TV turned on but nothing on the FIOS box (no time stamp).  So I'm wondering if FIOS was installed with another box that requires power too.  We have a large-ish black box mounted on the inside wall by the fuse box where the FIOS cable comes into the house.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Not Working During Power Outage
BluehatHorses
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, that other box is called the ONT and it needs power too. It's often forget because we don't tend to it regularly and they are often in out of the way locations. If you lose power the ONT has a battery but it's only there to power the phone in case you need to make an emergency call. You won't be able to use internet or tv unless your generator powers up the ONT as well.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@DaveMcDwrote:

Newbie here.  We had DirecTV before switching to FIOS.  During power outages using DirecTV, the system would still work with electricity provided by a portable generator to the pre-wired outlet in our living room at the fuse box.  Other pre-wired items are our refrigerator for example.  When we switched to FIOS, the TV and FIOS boxes were plugged into the same pre-wired outlet in our living room and when transferring power from the house to the generator in an outage, running, no FIOS.  The TV turned on but nothing on the FIOS box (no time stamp).  So I'm wondering if FIOS was installed with another box that requires power too.  We have a large-ish black box mounted on the inside wall by the fuse box where the FIOS cable comes into the house.  Thanks.

The ONT needs power also. That is the big box you are referring to. Unless there is a box on the outside of your home, or basement or garage. Even though Fios has a battery backup unit it’s for phone service only. What I have done is install an APC power unit (very expensive) at the ONT, router and a few other things to keep internet alive during power outages.

BluehatHorses
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, that other box is called the ONT and it needs power too. It's often forget because we don't tend to it regularly and they are often in out of the way locations. If you lose power the ONT has a battery but it's only there to power the phone in case you need to make an emergency call. You won't be able to use internet or tv unless your generator powers up the ONT as well.

jonjones1
Legend

Which I previously stated in my reply.

it is even a posted fact that in certain cases the BBU doesn’t even keep the phone going. In new installs Verizon uses the power reserve units. Which can be turned on if needed or off if not. Cheaper to have since you get d cell batteries to replace.

DaveMcD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for confirming this.

0 Likes
DaveMcD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.

0 Likes