FIOS One Mini Wireless Connection 5Ghz Channel Hopping (Service Disruption Issues)
MiniWizard
Enthusiast - Level 1

Description of the Service Disruption Issues:

The FIOS router will indiscriminately change the channel used for 5Ghz when set to automatic resulting in FIOS One Mini service and Wi-Fi disruptions.  Especially, when streaming content to through a Blu-Ray Player or to a TV with Wi-Fi streaming capability.  Some streaming providers and devices will recover from a channel hop, but not all.

Explanation of FIOS Gateway Network Router Channels:

The FIOS Gateway Network Router (G1100) uses FCC ) approved channels (36 to 48 and 149 to 165 ranges and channels reserved for radar (between 48 and 149) to provide the 5Ghz channel bands.  By default, the router will automatically select a channel.  The channel selection will most likely end up on a radar channel 132 or 141 which work really well if your router stays on them.

How Can You See If Channel Hopping Is Happening?:

• Log into your router at the url address: https://192.168.1.1  The password is on a label affixed to the G1100 router, unless you have changed it.
  • Once logged in you will be on the main page with the bar at the top:

Main  Wireless Settings  My Network ...

• Click on Wireless Settings and then select Wi-Fi Channel Settings on the left side of the page.  You will now see the page with a red box in the middle that says "View Channel History".  Click on that red box and you will see the history of the channel and the time it switched to it.  You will be able to align your service issues directly to the timestamps.

Alternatively, you can use the FIOS One Mini Settings information screens on the Wi-Fi Status and scroll through the screens to see the quality of your connection and the channel in use.

What Can I Do to Stop This From Happening?:

Unfortunately, the really good radar channels are not selectable.  However, if you do a "Perform New Scan" it will likely select one of those channels, but there is no guarantee it will stay there.  However, Verizon support has the ability to turn off the channel hopping while on a radar channel if you call them, but if the router reboots or loses power, the setting is lost.

So, your option is to pick a channel that looks good.  When you do the "Perform New Scan" you will see channels with quality bars.  Pick one with the bar pegged to the top and select the 5Ghz pull down and select that channel.  It must be a channel not between 48 and 149.  Per Verizon Support channels 48 and below are better because they have better distance.  I had to use channel 149, but my router is not far away.

Challenges with Assigned Channels, Particularly the Radar Channel Range:

Not all devices support all of the 5Ghz channels, so you might have issues with some if you assign a specific channel.

What About a FIOS Network Extender Channel Hopping?

Unfortunately, I do not have a FIOS Network Extender to test with and provide the information.  However, the Verizon Support Techs state the FIOS Network Extenders work much better than the Gateway Router.  So, you should not experience the hopping issues.  If you, learn the approach for channel setting a network extender, please post it here. 

Channel Assignment Considerations:

Remember, channels are selected to avoid interference from other users (router or extender access points) of the channels.  So, if you hard assign the channels make sure your router and extender(s) are on different channels.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS One Mini Wireless Connection 5Ghz Channel Hopping (Service Disruption Issues)
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that you mention it, I find it a little strange that it can pick more channels then you are allowed to select.

This one would require changes to the firmware I think in order to have more control over it, though I am sure you could tell.

The extender is the Actiontec WCB6200Q.

The manual for it can be found at:

https://actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/WCB6200Q_UserManual.pdf

View solution in original post

Re: FIOS One Mini Wireless Connection 5Ghz Channel Hopping (Service Disruption Issues)
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that you mention it, I find it a little strange that it can pick more channels then you are allowed to select.

This one would require changes to the firmware I think in order to have more control over it, though I am sure you could tell.

The extender is the Actiontec WCB6200Q.

The manual for it can be found at:

https://actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/WCB6200Q_UserManual.pdf

MiniWizard
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for adding to my post.  You closed the loop and have now made it complete.