FIOS + TV Guide On-Screen + CableCard
Polyscroll

I have tried just about everything to solve my problem and am now reaching out for help to this forum's members.

I am located in suburban Syracuse, NY and I recently had FIOS TV installed in my house and I have the cable connected directly to my TV's lone coax input.  I also have Verizon's M-Series CableCard installed in the TV in lieu of using a set-top box.

My TV is a Panasonic Plasma model TH-50PX600U and it has version 9 of TV Guide On-Screen ( TVGOS ) and a QAM tuner built in.

My problem is that whenever I use this combination, the TVGOS fails to find ANY info from  the FIOS feed...even after leaving the TV off for over 48 hours.  I know I am setting up the TVGOS system correctly and the CableCard works just fine for TV viewing, picking up all of my subscribed channels.  The TVGOS worked fine with my Time Warner Cable I had used previously and it also works fine when I just use an antenna to pick up the local, off the air digital stations.

Using the FIOS cable fed to the back of the TV, with their CableCard installed, it will not find the clock signal, channel lineup, or any listing data at all.

I suspect that FIOS in my area has either stripped-out the TVGOS data stream from the local CBS digital feed, or there is a problem with the CableCard passing the stream to the TV.  Since my TV only has one coax input, the option to hook up the antenna on a different input to pull the feed in is not an option.

Does FIOS pass-thru the TVGOS info on their CBS digital feed to customers?

I would appreciate any help that any of you can give me.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS + TV Guide On-Screen + CableCard
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I shot the question over to my buddy at Verizon tech support and he says, No. The TVGO is not passed via the Verizon system. Without a Verizon STB, there is no guide data from any source on the video broadcast. To get 3rd party guides, you must have another way of obtaining the info. IE an internet connection for download. But no guide info from any 3rd party is sent on the broadcast systems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Polyscroll wrote:

I have tried just about everything to solve my problem and am now reaching out for help to this forum's members.

I am located in suburban Syracuse, NY and I recently had FIOS TV installed in my house and I have the cable connected directly to my TV's lone coax input.  I also have Verizon's M-Series CableCard installed in the TV in lieu of using a set-top box.

My TV is a Panasonic Plasma model TH-50PX600U and it has version 9 of TV Guide On-Screen ( TVGOS ) and a QAM tuner built in.

My problem is that whenever I use this combination, the TVGOS fails to find ANY info from  the FIOS feed...even after leaving the TV off for over 48 hours.  I know I am setting up the TVGOS system correctly and the CableCard works just fine for TV viewing, picking up all of my subscribed channels.  The TVGOS worked fine with my Time Warner Cable I had used previously and it also works fine when I just use an antenna to pick up the local, off the air digital stations.

Using the FIOS cable fed to the back of the TV, with their CableCard installed, it will not find the clock signal, channel lineup, or any listing data at all.

I suspect that FIOS in my area has either stripped-out the TVGOS data stream from the local CBS digital feed, or there is a problem with the CableCard passing the stream to the TV.  Since my TV only has one coax input, the option to hook up the antenna on a different input to pull the feed in is not an option.

Does FIOS pass-thru the TVGOS info on their CBS digital feed to customers?

I would appreciate any help that any of you can give me.

Thanks.

I doubt the TVGO data is passes over the FiOS feed.  That's what  the FiOS guide is for -- which, obviously, you don't receive since it requires an STB.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

FIOS does not pass any guide data with the QAM signal. The FIOS guide data is supplied over the internet to their set top boxes. Using a cablecard in a TV will get the same results as one of the Verizon digital adaptors with no network or interactive abilities.

A TiVo and Moxi DVR gets the guide data from their service over the internet or dialup. Much like Verizon. But a cablecard will get no guide data from Verizon.

If your TV has a network connector for Ethernet, perhaps it will get some sort of guide data that way. I would have to look up your TV's specifications.

0 Likes
Polyscroll

I guess I was not particularly clear with my question.

I am not trying to get FIOS Channel Guide with my CableCard, I'm trying to get the TVGOS Guide over the CableCard.

The TVGOS datastream was originally encoded in with PBS stations back when we still had analog.

Starting with the switchover to all digital in June of this year, the TVGOS data was dropped by PBS stations and picked up by CBS affiliates.  The TVGOS data is now inserted and broadcast in the local CBS Over-The Air digital signals.

I can pick up this guide info just fine wien I use an antenna via CBS but when I hook-up the FIOS cable and use their CableCard, I can't get the TVGOS datastream.

I just wanted to know why.

Here is a link to what TVGOS is:

http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ce_manufacturers/guide_ce/tv_guide_on_screen.htm

It was originally owned by GemSTAR, then Macrovision, and now ROVI Corp.

0 Likes
Polyscroll

Isn't anyone from Verizon willing or able to answer my question ???

Does FIOS pass the TVGOS data stream on the CBS channel(s) to a customer's TV using CableCard ???

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Polyscroll wrote:

Does FIOS pass the TVGOS data stream on the CBS channel(s) to a customer's TV using CableCard ???

I already answered your question.  The stream is not passed.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

@Polyscroll wrote:

Hello,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

0 Likes
Polyscroll

PJL wrote:   "I already answered your question.  The stream is not passed."

PJL,

I believe what you said was:    "I doubt  the TVGO data is passes over the FiOS feed..."

Your answer led me to believe that you don't know for sure.

I have already talked to three different Verizon Tech Support people, and, unfortunately, they can offer no help at all.  That's why I posted here, in the hopes that someone with a concrete answer could resolve my question.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I shot the question over to my buddy at Verizon tech support and he says, No. The TVGO is not passed via the Verizon system. Without a Verizon STB, there is no guide data from any source on the video broadcast. To get 3rd party guides, you must have another way of obtaining the info. IE an internet connection for download. But no guide info from any 3rd party is sent on the broadcast systems.

0 Likes
Polyscroll

@spacedebris wrote:

Thanks spacedebris, I appreciate the response and answer.  That is what I suspected...I just wanted to know for sure before I swapped my CableCARD for a STB

0 Likes