FIOS TV One VMS4100 A/V Sync Issues
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just recently upgraded to FIOS TV One which includes the VMS4100 media server and 3 clients.  I have an LG 70UH6350 TV (4K, UHD, HDR Pro) and a Vizio Soundbar SB4551 (5.1).  Prior to the FIOS upgrade I had the older Motorola  7232-P2 DVR  and several Motorola 7100 HD STB's. I never had the previous VMS 1100.  On my new VMS4100 I have noticed significant A/V sync issues.  I never had any A/V sync issues with the 7232 DVR.  The Vizio soundbar and the VMS4100 are both connected via HDMI with ARC - CEC enabled.  I have read that this was an issue for the VMS1100 about a year ago.  Back then it was recommended to go into user settings and set HDMI output to L-PCM as a workaround.  I also read that there was an update at that time that was going to fix the issue.  That thread seemed to die out in activity around that time so assuming that maybe an update was received to fix that issue on the VMS1100.  So now that I have the VMS4100 I am experiencing the same A/V sync issues that others reported in the past.   I tried the same workaround and it seems to have worked. I used an old remote and pressed the green D button for 10 seconds to get into user settings and set HDMI output to L-PCM. There is not much info yet on the new voice remotes with the VMS4100 but I found that you can get into user settings by pressing the power button and then the OK button twice. This will put you in diagnostics but then press the left arrow button to get to the main menu to select user settings. When pressing power off it may also turn off your TV so prior to doing this point the remote to a different area away from the TV so it does not turn off the TV and just the VMS4100 gets turned off, then press OK twice as described above.

I wanted to start this thread to help others since the VMS4100 is so new and to let it be known that these boxes are having the same issue reported over the years with other prior STB's. I want to make it known to Verizon so that hopefully there will be a fix for this and the workaround will not be necessary.  My VMS4100 is at release APR6.0, Build Number 22.45.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV One VMS4100 A/V Sync Issues
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try fios box to soundbar via HDMI,  soundbar to TV via HDMI ARC. Did you try optical from fios box to soundbar? What you are describing is a VIDEO lag, not audio. The screen image is behind the audio. Try setting your TV to game mode and see if it improves. If it does there is a setting in the TV menu that is causing excessive image processing and delays the video with respect to the audio output. Also look at audio delay options in the TV menu, or sync options, and in any menu in the soundbar. I still think you should be able to get this acceptable through the delay setting in the Fios service menu.

View solution in original post

Nohojo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also recently upgraded to FIOS TV One which includes the VMS4100 media server and 2 clients.  I have the VMS4100 attached to a Samsung NU8000 and a Barska Audio TR-200 Sound-Deck connected TV->sound bar with an optical cable.  To get any sound at all, I had to set the TV to PCM.  No sound isn't quite the sync issue you have over HDMI but thought maybe the TV audio setting had to match PCM.  

I still have an issue controling the volume through the STB.  I was able to do that with the VMS1100, set the volume control to Variable, but that doesn't work for me on the VMS4100. 

I'm sure by now you've worked through all of the setup options with the receiver in-line or direct through the setup of the remote. That is one cool thing I did find much better with TV One is the programming of the remote. 

0 Likes
TomM711

I'm having this issue and just signed up for Fios. I've tried all the ideas and spent time with support. Support continues to tell me to restart my box. That doesn't work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm thinking of canceling my account and switching to xfinity.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which issue are you having? No sound or sync issues? If no sound I assume you tried setting sound to L-PCM in the service menu, if sync, while there did you notice the additional HDMI setting option? If you select that you'll see a lip sync option, probably set to auto. Change it to 150, and see what happens. If audio is still ahead of video increase the value, if audio is now behind video decrease the value.

Nitediver
Enthusiast - Level 1

Instead of switching to L-PCM, leave it as is but switch to audio delay to manual and then select 150 from 0. 

FriscoKit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just struggled through a similar situation in which my sound bar was not syncing with sound.  I tried a number of things...but through this thread I came across the info and tried the auto delay to manual and 150...didn’t work very well... but noticed there was also a setting to turn auto delay “off”...I did that and now sound seems to be syncing fine.  Fingers crossed that continues and solved the problem.  Thanks 

AUIDIO-Problems
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue of audio lag with new Fios ONE boxes is an unacceptable chronic problem that NEEDS to be addressed by Verizon!  I think the cable images and new  remote for FIos One are great and vast improvement over the old Motorola box’s.

Now the bad news!

I have troubleshooted all options with adjusting audio delay on a Samsung Q70 hooked up to Samsung, and a LG Oled to s Sonos Beam —It doesn’t work unless I switch to PCM through diagnostics.

I , like many consumers have spent serous money on home theater and feel VERY VERY FRUSTRATED and  disappointed that I’m required to switch to PCM; essentially listening to a glorified TV speaker with my sound bars with no surround or Dolby...frankly it sucks! 

Verizon should reply to these threads to all of us in a communication as to where is the software patch to fix this problem.?  The top engineers should be able to adjust the audio compression rate, or whatever they need to do, and stop denying that the problem doesn’t exist. Any delay should be able to be easily fixed through settings any homemaker can  troubleshoot and adjust with delay settings when required 

They need to step up and fix this problem or they will lose customers who read these comments and decide to call Comcast... 

If you agree please jump on and add your own comments to this thread so maybe the louder we get they will respond to unhappy and FRUSTRATED customers who want to enjoy their home theatre systems when using the Verizon Fios one cable  box. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Instead of going to LPCM,  did you try setting a fixed delay, like 150 or more In the service menu under advanced HDMI options? You could also try turning audio delay off there too and let your other equipment do any compensation. Do you see a lipsync  issue if you go direct from the box to the tv? Also did you try game mode on your TV settings to see if the lag is being caused by some video processing the TV is doing? There is also supposed to be a new firmware update being pushed out for the 4100 that includes audio and video passthrough. That might also be the solution. Dont be so sure switching providers will be the cure.

AUIDIO-Problems
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the feedback....yes on the LG Oled when we go directly from box to TV, no  audio lag: or should I describe it as sound coming before mouth speaking movements.

However,  going to the TV directly defeats the purpose (and cost) of sound bar or home theater system to complement amazing  screen images on LG OLED or Samsung Q 70.

Do you know when, or who to contact, at Verizon for 4100 Firmware upgrade timeline, it seems like that fix has been out there for the last six months...still waiting. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AUIDIO-Problems wrote:

Thanks for the feedback....yes on the LG Oled when we go directly from box to TV, no  audio lag: or should I describe it as sound coming before mouth speaking movements.

However,  going to the TV directly defeats the purpose (and cost) of sound bar or home theater system to complement amazing  screen images on LG OLED or Samsung Q 70.

Do you know when, or who to contact, at Verizon for 4100 Firmware upgrade timeline, it seems like that fix has been out there for the last six months...still waiting. 

When you hook up the system, do you go hdmi from the box to the sound system, then to the TV, or box to TV via HDMI,  then hdmi from TV to sound system? Or do you use optical for the sound system from the tv?