FIOS TV Sound dropping consistently
nubetube
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having an issue with sound dropping from TV programs on at least two of my boxes.  I have a MR-DVR and two HD set top boxes.  I have noticed for the last few weeks that the sound will drop from time to time.  I have not put a time frame on it but it is definitely consistent.  Any idea what to check for this type of an issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV Sound dropping consistently
dumbanddumberer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem.  You may also notice that DVR management from the internet also drops at random.

This is because there is a loose connector somewhere within the COAX.

If you contact Verizon they will have you remove all connectors and reconnect them and reset all equipment.

This includes all connections including the splitters etc.

What they will not suggest, thinking that their installer has made sure the first connection inside the Fibre optic decoder is tight.

Open up the box that they install in the garage or on a post or all outside,  It has two screw locks, one says that it is customer access and can be unbolted using a screw driver,  loosen this off and unclip the front,  it has two catches at the side as well which you have to release by pushing the wedged edges through the loop.  

You will see a small display of LED's and connections to your normal phone line.      At the bottom you will see the coax cable, make sure that is screwed in tight,  if necessary unscrew, remove and reinstall the connection.  Close up the box and tighten back up the securing bolt.

If the problem persists then you may have a kinked coax in the house or a bad coax cable and you may need to remove one from the system at a time until the issue stops,  if removing one resolves the issue then this is the one that has a problem, replace.  Hopefully it is not a fed cable in the wall that is bad because that's what they told me it was and I paid for the cable to be replaced, new splitters etc and then after months of dealing with it I find out that the connection was loose in the main box which Verizon had said was not the issue. 

At least a few times a year it also pays to regularly go back and check all connections are tight,  they sometimes work their way loose and getting warm and cooling down sometimes makes them loose again especially any that are outside.

Hope it helps and will save you a fortune in cable and work time it costs for the guy to do the replacement of the cables etc.

View solution in original post

dumbanddumberer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem.  You may also notice that DVR management from the internet also drops at random.

This is because there is a loose connector somewhere within the COAX.

If you contact Verizon they will have you remove all connectors and reconnect them and reset all equipment.

This includes all connections including the splitters etc.

What they will not suggest, thinking that their installer has made sure the first connection inside the Fibre optic decoder is tight.

Open up the box that they install in the garage or on a post or all outside,  It has two screw locks, one says that it is customer access and can be unbolted using a screw driver,  loosen this off and unclip the front,  it has two catches at the side as well which you have to release by pushing the wedged edges through the loop.  

You will see a small display of LED's and connections to your normal phone line.      At the bottom you will see the coax cable, make sure that is screwed in tight,  if necessary unscrew, remove and reinstall the connection.  Close up the box and tighten back up the securing bolt.

If the problem persists then you may have a kinked coax in the house or a bad coax cable and you may need to remove one from the system at a time until the issue stops,  if removing one resolves the issue then this is the one that has a problem, replace.  Hopefully it is not a fed cable in the wall that is bad because that's what they told me it was and I paid for the cable to be replaced, new splitters etc and then after months of dealing with it I find out that the connection was loose in the main box which Verizon had said was not the issue. 

At least a few times a year it also pays to regularly go back and check all connections are tight,  they sometimes work their way loose and getting warm and cooling down sometimes makes them loose again especially any that are outside.

Hope it helps and will save you a fortune in cable and work time it costs for the guy to do the replacement of the cables etc.

nubetube
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks DandDerer..

That is really something I never think of!  I will be checking the connections tonight wehn I get home.  I hope the cable is ok.  I did the cables in the house so I can replace them if neede but man do I not want to have to fish wires again.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes
nubetube
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Again DandDerer.  Sure enough the connection on the ONT was a  bit loose.  I will monitor the sound over the weekend but I did not notice and drop outs last night al all.

0 Likes
hscarpol
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have never had this problem, last week I switched to digital voice and Extreme HD and now I loose sound when changing channels.  I just have to flip bakc to the other and back to the new channel and the sound comes back.  My issue should not be a cable since no one entered my house to make the change over.  We have had a problem with the HDMI port on this box, the installer could not get the box to work if connected to the HDMI so more then likly it is an internal box issue and they will not replace unless I complain enough and pay for an on site service call.

jerzray

To make a long service story short:  I had to replace my DVR with a newer model Motorola black color case.  I suddenly started having sound loss when I changed HDTV channels.  The tech came out to the house and we tried two more DVR'S which produced the same resultant intermittent sound loss when HDTV channels were selected or changed.  I still had the old DVR and when we reinstalled it the HDTV sound worked properly consistently.  After several hours and multiple visits including contacting Verizon higher tier support we realized that the sound cables were connected from the DVR to the TV and then from the TV out to my surround system.  We reconnected the sound so that the DVR was providing the sound directly to the surround sound input and the problem disappeared permanently but because of the new routing of the DVR audio output the DVR sound could only be controlled by the surround amplifier and no longer by the TV volume control.  This is a work around and not a fix for the problem.  Evidently the sound coming from the DVR to the TV was muting the audio and blocking the audio from feeding through to the sound system.  My system has been working with this work around for a couple of months now and no further information from Verizon if the audio channel will ever be able to be hooked up with the feed through the TV input circuits.

0 Likes
DND1

I just spoke to a Verizon agent who told me that swapping my HDMI cable for component cables may resolve the issue.  He is sending out the cables I need.  Will report back when I know if it fixed the problem or not.

0 Likes
britishrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey jerz, HOW did you get a newer model replacement? I have called and chatted with Verizon 10+ times and been told there is no such upgrade to my QIP6416 unless I get a multi-room which of course costs me more money!

0 Likes