FIOS TV one Clock Display
RLutwk
Enthusiast - Level 2

While it doesn't get much fanfare, accurate timing is one of the most valuable services that FIOS provides (it makes everything else possible). The Verizon timing network is the envy of the high-speed communications world. From dedicated long-haul point-to-point fibers, to cesium beam frequency standards in central offices, to the fiber in your basement, your FIOS TV one box probably knows what time it is to within a few tens of microseconds.  This is a magnificent demonstration of technology and human accomplishment. Kudos to the engineers and technologists for the development and maintenance of this remarkable capability, which we customers pay for with each monthly bill. 

The time display on my TV set-top box is my little window into this magnificent technology.  The time is trustworthy and resilient, it always gets daylight savings right and resets itself accurately after a power outage. I'll also admit to unabashed technophilia - I don't need milllisecond timing in the bedroom, but it's cool to have.  

Removing the time display from the TV one box was not only dumb, it was also stupid. The Verizon Marketing department should be replaced for incompetence. If they don't recognize the marketing value of having "Millisecond Time by Verizon" in my continuous view, they should consider alternative careers.

I can't come up with a stupid enough metaphor - a stereo without speakers? a beer keg with no tap? A TV with no screen?  None of these are dumb enough.  We're talking about $2 worth of parts in something for which you're charging me $10/month.

If this is all about the size of the box, then how about giving us time out of the USB port and an aftermarket choice of clock displays to sit on top of it?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV one Clock Display
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a cell phone?  It's clock is synced to NIST's Ft. Collins CO master clock through the GPS timing receivers in the cell networks.  Unless you're Gibbs using a 1990's flip phone on a soon to be decommissioned network.  šŸ™‚

Another option is to buy an "atomic" clock.  They all sync to NIST using WWVB.  I've a La Crosse weather/time station on my desk that does this.  Cost about $40 on Amazon and is way more useful than the clock I used to have on my set-tops.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@user4321 wrote:

While it doesn't get much fanfare, accurate timing is one of the most valuable services that FIOS provides (it makes everything else possible). The Verizon timing network is the envy of the high-speed communications world. From dedicated long-haul point-to-point fibers, to cesium beam frequency standards in central offices, to the fiber in your basement, your FIOS TV one box probably knows what time it is to within a few tens of microseconds.  This is a magnificent demonstration of technology and human accomplishment. Kudos to the engineers and technologists for the development and maintenance of this remarkable capability, which we customers pay for with each monthly bill. 

The time display on my TV set-top box is my little window into this magnificent technology.  The time is trustworthy and resilient, it always gets daylight savings right and resets itself accurately after a power outage. I'll also admit to unabashed technophilia - I don't need milllisecond timing in the bedroom, but it's cool to have.  

Removing the time display from the TV one box was not only dumb, it was also stupid. The Verizon Marketing department should be replaced for incompetence. If they don't recognize the marketing value of having "Millisecond Time by Verizon" in my continuous view, they should consider alternative careers.

I can't come up with a stupid enough metaphor - a stereo without speakers? a beer keg with no tap? A TV with no screen?  None of these are dumb enough.  We're talking about $2 worth of parts in something for which you're charging me $10/month.

If this is all about the size of the box, then how about giving us time out of the USB port and an aftermarket choice of clock displays to sit on top of it?

The Fios One boxes are a stock item from Arris. Verizon had NOTHING to do with their design, they only purchased them from Arris. You need to give Arris a hard time about the clock, as it was their choice to eliminate it. You can still get the time if you shut off the box and look at the screensaver though, as inconvenient as it may be. Or get an atomic clock, which is as accurate as the Verizon was.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know if the decision to remove the ToD clock is Verizon's or not. The company may simply go with whatever the manufacturer (Arris) offers.

With the ongoing steady decline in cable TV subscribers, I'm not sure if future STBs will have much in the way of innovating features. šŸ¤”

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Commscope prepared to jettison its consumer product division, the name on STBs will likely change to something else.

yamvmax

There are clocks everywhere these days.

0 Likes
RLutwk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm kind of liking the idea of a clock display that plugs into the USB on the back of the TV one box and sits on top. Then I could pick something that matches the decor and function of the installation.  Verizon (or Arris) would need to provide firmware support for this.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a cell phone?  It's clock is synced to NIST's Ft. Collins CO master clock through the GPS timing receivers in the cell networks.  Unless you're Gibbs using a 1990's flip phone on a soon to be decommissioned network.  šŸ™‚

Another option is to buy an "atomic" clock.  They all sync to NIST using WWVB.  I've a La Crosse weather/time station on my desk that does this.  Cost about $40 on Amazon and is way more useful than the clock I used to have on my set-tops.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WWVB option would depend upon the OP's location. Here in the Boston area it has been more than a year since any of my devices have been able to pick up the transmission from the station.

At one point, there was a discussion to have another transmitter erected in Alabama, but the plan fell through.

Re: No Time/Channel Displayed on Newer Verizon Set Top Boxes
TR1NZ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just to Comment- I don't really care who makes the set top boxes or where they come from. Being a Verizon customer for over 15 years - and used to the time and channel appearing on the front of the box - Verizon should know better than to remove a set top box feature previously made available. Especially since the price for service keeps going up while some basic features are removed. And NO! I don't want to look at my phone! Or make an additional purchase of an "Atomic" clock! I Do Not Want to Use, Find, Add, Look for, Talk to, or Click any additional device. All of that actually takes up more time. I just want to be able to gaze over to the front of the set top box and see the time or channel. Which takes nano seconds!  Nothing more, nothing less. I realize eventually we will all be moving over to streaming and all the additional apparatus' will be sent to Never Never Land. But in the meantime, Verizon, appease me with the little things that make me a Happy Customer. Put the time and channel display back on the front of the box.

Re: No Time/Channel Displayed on Newer Verizon Set Top Boxes
KH-cathy29811

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

0 Likes