FIOS-compatible set top box
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Is there a FIOS-compatible set top box that can be used in place of the Verizon box?

For example, the Tivo or Slingbox.

I'm retired & I'm looking for ways to spend less on my Verizon bill.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS-compatible set top box
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

TiVo can be used (slingbox requires a stb).

TiVo can require a large upfront expense and a monthly cable card expense.

I would look at the payback and decide based on that.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Newer model TIVO's (you want one that supports mpeg-4) work.  You still have to rent a Cablecard from Verizon.  There was at least one other manufacturer that had models but they dropped out of the market.

Many have attached a Slingbox to their STB/DVR.  But I am not aware of Slingbox DVR.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

TiVo can be used (slingbox requires a stb).

TiVo can require a large upfront expense and a monthly cable card expense.

I would look at the payback and decide based on that.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

You still have to rent a Cablecard from Verizon.

Do you happen to know how much the cablecard costs to rent? I'm paying Verizon $16/month for the DVR. If it costs that much to rent a cablecard, there's no point in buying a Tivo.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

A CableCard costs about $4.99/month.   

I use Tivo (I have a Roamio although the newer Bolt platform also works -- you just need to make sure you get the version for Digital Cable and not the Over-the-Air version they also sell).

Upfront cost is the main issue.  You need to buy the box plus pay for the guide service (guide service plus the cost of a cable card if you have only one TV and buy the guide service on month-to-month run about the same as a Verizon DVR box).

The savings come if you have more than one TV and use the Tivo remote boxes for those (links to one of the 6 tuners in the primary Tivo and you get all the TV and recording capability of the main box).   You don't pay for guide service on these as they use the service from the main box.

The savings also come if you buy lifetime guide subscription for the main box and keep your Tivo for a while.  Eventually you offset the guide cost and save money.

In my setup, I have a main Roamio unit and two additional TV's on remotes and the payback was about 23-25 months.   Up to that point, you would essentially break even or be slightly ahead with the Verizon STB's.   After the break even point however, the guide data is paid for and the box costs have likewise offset the Verizon month to month costs and everything after that is essentially the cost of the cable card monthly fee.

Note that this is covers box fees only -- the cost for the actual channel package (before you start layering on all the STB's fees) is still extra (and the same for either a Tivo setup or a Verizon STB setup).

Benefit of Tivo is you can copy shows off the box to your PC and if you ever change providers, you can take the box and any shows you have recorded with you to the new service provider.  You need only swap out the cable card and relearn the channel package from the new provider.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I've tried to reach Tivo by e-mail but all I get is "your case number is blah-blah-blah". 

So, I've given up on Tivo.

I'll stick with the Verizon DVR.

0 Likes
JonLCampbell

The Samsung GX-SM530CF is apparently a good, generic, inexpensive fios-compatible cable box. Reviews include people who are Verizon fios customers. But you have to use the Samsung remote, the fios remote will apparently not work. And they are not exactly plug-and-play; if you're tech-savvy, then you can probably install it, reviewers say Samsung tech support is not very helpful. They seem to be available for about $150.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't save all shows.

I believe that Fox, HBO and maybe a few other channels only allow you to copy once (mean record) but can't copy off to PC.

alfatiger2017

Then after the 23-25 months your setop box is not current and new services/new box.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alfatiger2017 wrote:

Then after the 23-25 months your setop box is not current and new services/new box.

This MIGHT become important if Verizon goes forward with one of its plans for a new FIOS TV architecture.  Although now on hold and being reevaluated, they were in testing with a IP based system that also include 4k support.