Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

SOLVED
Reply
JCruthers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-20-2020

FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 1 of 8
(1,394 Views)

These new FIOS remotes that operate over Bluetooth are a nightmare. 

I have 3 boxes, all on a rack in a central media room. The boxes are connected to the televisions via HDMI extenders with “electric eyes.” 

the problem is I can’t sync a remote to a particular box without all 3 of them flashing. There is no way to block two of the boxes while I sync the 3rd because the syncing is done over Bluetooth. I’ve even tried to put faraday tape over the other receivers.

 

i have absolutely no interest in using the voice technology and these remotes are making the entire system Unusable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,567
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 4 of 8
(1,292 Views)

@JCruthers wrote:

Thank you for the reply. When you say, "turn off" do you mean unplug? The boxes all react whether they're on or not..

 

is there any way I can just get the other boxes? I've already purchased 3 of the older remotes and nothing works. 


I was assuming you had the new Fios One boxes and yes, you'll have to unplug them as they never really turn off. If you have the older 1100 series boxes, you use codes to program them. The new remotes use Bluetooth to communicate with the boxes, which is why you need to pair them one at a time. The new boxes also can be controlled with an IR remote, so if you have more than one box in a room with line of sight, you'll affect more than 1 box at a time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,567
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 2 of 8
(1,345 Views)

@JCruthers wrote:

These new FIOS remotes that operate over Bluetooth are a nightmare. 

I have 3 boxes, all on a rack in a central media room. The boxes are connected to the televisions via HDMI extenders with “electric eyes.” 

the problem is I can’t sync a remote to a particular box without all 3 of them flashing. There is no way to block two of the boxes while I sync the 3rd because the syncing is done over Bluetooth. I’ve even tried to put faraday tape over the other receivers.

 

i have absolutely no interest in using the voice technology and these remotes are making the entire system Unusable. 


Un-pair all 3 remotes. Turn off all but 1 fios box, pair 1 remote to that box, turn the box off. Turn on one of the other boxes, rinse, repeat.

JCruthers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-20-2020

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 3 of 8
(1,307 Views)

Thank you for the reply. When you say, "turn off" do you mean unplug? The boxes all react whether they're on or not..

 

is there any way I can just get the other boxes? I've already purchased 3 of the older remotes and nothing works. 

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,567
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 4 of 8
(1,293 Views)

@JCruthers wrote:

Thank you for the reply. When you say, "turn off" do you mean unplug? The boxes all react whether they're on or not..

 

is there any way I can just get the other boxes? I've already purchased 3 of the older remotes and nothing works. 


I was assuming you had the new Fios One boxes and yes, you'll have to unplug them as they never really turn off. If you have the older 1100 series boxes, you use codes to program them. The new remotes use Bluetooth to communicate with the boxes, which is why you need to pair them one at a time. The new boxes also can be controlled with an IR remote, so if you have more than one box in a room with line of sight, you'll affect more than 1 box at a time.

View solution in original post

aaaafam
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-25-2021

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 5 of 8
(437 Views)

Thanks for this, helped me pair my remotes. However, something rather annoying is happening...

 

I have two boxes in the same room in the same media cabinet with two TV's on the wall side by side. Each of the remotes work on each respective TV.  However, when using one of the remotes, the other box automatically displays a message that takes over the entire screen, "This Fios TV Voice Remote is paired to another Fios TV One Mini". It then lists all the steps of pairing your remote and it takes over the entire screen so you can't see the channel you're watching.  The message stays on the screen for about a minute. Seems like these boxes are constantly scanning for a Bluetooth signal. Any way to turn off the message so it doesn't continuously pop up?

 

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,567
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 6 of 8
(431 Views)

@aaaafam wrote:

Thanks for this, helped me pair my remotes. However, something rather annoying is happening...

 

I have two boxes in the same room in the same media cabinet with two TV's on the wall side by side. Each of the remotes work on each respective TV.  However, when using one of the remotes, the other box automatically displays a message that takes over the entire screen, "This Fios TV Voice Remote is paired to another Fios TV One Mini". It then lists all the steps of pairing your remote and it takes over the entire screen so you can't see the channel you're watching.  The message stays on the screen for about a minute. Seems like these boxes are constantly scanning for a Bluetooth signal. Any way to turn off the message so it doesn't continuously pop up?

 


I cant say there is anything to turn off the error message. If the boxes are paired to their own remotes, that's about all you could do. Only other thing would be to use the older IR based remote for one of the boxes and unpair the voice remote for that box.

aaaafam
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-25-2021

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 7 of 8
(369 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give that a try.

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,567
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: FIOS voice remotes pairing to wrong boxes

Message 8 of 8
(351 Views)

@aaaafam wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give that a try.


Forgot to mention you need to put a piece of electrical tape on the IR receiver of the box you leave as bluetooth or it will respond to the IR commands of the old remote.

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title