FOX HD 513, MYTV HD 514, ION HD517, Not Showing In HD
jimia66

FOX confirmed tonight that FOX513 HD is FOX13 non HD and specifically states on FOX513HD labled as "FOX13 is Now Available In HD.  I reported this problem with "several HD channels" even some HD Movie channels the screens don't fit the HD screen during the day for some however changes to full screen at night for some but they are not HD.  When can I expect to get all my HD channels restored that is channels 500 and up.  Also my non-HD channels no longer fit the screen what happened?

I reported this problem and the tech came out and didn't know the cause, I was hoping to hear back from someone about this issue.  Since Fox is now displaying that 513HD is not HD directly on the screen, hopefully we can get this issue resolved.

0 Likes
Re: FOX HD 513, MYTV HD 514, ION HD517, Not Showing In HD
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem. We do care about our customers and we would like the opportunity to resolve any issues that you may be experiencing. We have sent you a link by PM.  Please  submit  the required verification form so that we may assist you. Please advise us when you have submitted the form. Thanks Tonya C.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI,  It is possible for a program to be in HD and have black bars on the left and right.  That is normal, and that is a choice from the broadcaster.   

Please read the following, I think you're situation might be normal, and you might not actually be having any issues at all.

In addition, check out another detailed article, with illustrations, on this topic: Why Don't The Black Bars Go Away? from High Def Digest.

Here are some other articles. 

Fox is famous for having the black bars, the reason why it happens sometimes and not other times, is all based on the type of camera and footage that they filmed the program in.   that is detailed and outlined in the first article called aspect ratio 

So why sometimes are there black bars? The black bars are added by the broadcasters for the 16:9 sub-channels. Once a sub-channel is formatted for 16:9 HD material, they will not switch the format. They just merge the 4:3 SD video into the black 16:9 frame. They could switch formats between the SD format of 480p and the HD format of 720p or 1080i, but that will cause most TV to blink and stutter while they resync to the new format, so they don’t switch formats back and forth. So why don’t the broadcasters use gray pillar boxes, you ask. Because black is the natural no video state and to use gray pillar boxes would require a video generator and quite frankly, they are not worried about your phosphor aging. Some broadcasters, like ESPN and our local FOX station, have added video generators to put their logo in place of the black bars.

here are some additional links as well that talk about it 

Bars, Bars and More Bars  &  HDTV Pictures
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@jimia66 wrote:

Also my non-HD channels no longer fit the screen what happened?

this is one place that you can fix.  you can fix SD pictures, but you can't fix HD pictures. 

to fix the standard definition stretch mode, you have to press menu > go to settings > go to video settings > and then click on SD OVERRIDE. 

that is where you can change the non high definition settings, to be stretched.   

0 Likes