Failing esata Drive
andrew631

I've got a western digital esata drive that works fine with the Motorola dvr, but the drive fan is spinning up on its own intermittently and there is also a high pitched whine now and then.  I'd like to replace it before it fails.  Both the dvr and drive have lots of room.  How can I switch drive without losing everything on it?  Can I move stuff onto dvr or somehow clone drive while it still works?

0 Likes
Re: Failing esata Drive
prisaz
Legend

@andrew63 wrote:

I've got a western digital esata drive that works fine with the Motorola dvr, but the drive fan is spinning up on its own intermittently and there is also a high pitched whine now and then.  I'd like to replace it before it fails.  Both the dvr and drive have lots of room.  How can I switch drive without losing everything on it?  Can I move stuff onto dvr or somehow clone drive while it still works?

Shutdown both the DVR and the eSATA, then try to find a replacement fan for the drive. I know WD has a good warranty on their internal drives, but I believe the external drives are only one year, because they get moved around. So if it is not in warranty, I believe that is your best bet. But if you must send the drive back to WD, all bets are off. No way to transfer the data at this time. #1 complaint.

0 Likes