Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Failing esata Drive

andrew63
Contributor
Contributor

Failing esata Drive

Message 1 of 2
(464 Views)

I've got a western digital esata drive that works fine with the Motorola dvr, but the drive fan is spinning up on its own intermittently and there is also a high pitched whine now and then.  I'd like to replace it before it fails.  Both the dvr and drive have lots of room.  How can I switch drive without losing everything on it?  Can I move stuff onto dvr or somehow clone drive while it still works?

1 REPLY 1
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Failing esata Drive

Message 2 of 2
(457 Views)

@andrew63 wrote:

I've got a western digital esata drive that works fine with the Motorola dvr, but the drive fan is spinning up on its own intermittently and there is also a high pitched whine now and then.  I'd like to replace it before it fails.  Both the dvr and drive have lots of room.  How can I switch drive without losing everything on it?  Can I move stuff onto dvr or somehow clone drive while it still works?

Shutdown both the DVR and the eSATA, then try to find a replacement fan for the drive. I know WD has a good warranty on their internal drives, but I believe the external drives are only one year, because they get moved around. So if it is not in warranty, I believe that is your best bet. But if you must send the drive back to WD, all bets are off. No way to transfer the data at this time. #1 complaint.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.