Favorite Channel Suggestion
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

I would like to suggest that there is a way to save your favorite channels.  Twice this week, my boxes were reset by FIOS and I lost my favorite channels.  It is a pain to keep resetting them.  It would be nice in the future if they won't be affected by the box being reset.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Favorite Channel Suggestion
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You shouldn't have lost your favorites.  I have never lost them with a Verizon remote reset or even when a new IMG is loaded. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

You shouldn't have lost your favorites.  I have never lost them with a Verizon remote reset or even when a new IMG is loaded. 

I agree, the Favorites should not have been lost, at least for a IMG update. I haven't lost my Favorites in probably two years due to updates.

But he did not say why there were updates. Of course he may not know, but it may be that he was talking to support and they did two of those "wipe out everything" resets, in which case I think losing the Favorites would be part of the process. When I had that done maybe three years ago they told me I would lose my Favorites before they did the reset, and I did.

I agree with him that it would be very nice to have some way to backup and recover Favorites lists to 1) prevent accicental loss, and 2) to allow cloning of Favorites lists to other STBs in the house or a replacement STB.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

There are actually 3 types of resets for these stb's.

The one they call a warm reset. This is the one the automated system does and its also the one that accompanies an IMG update. This is also the one that is performed when power cycling the stb. This should not affect any personal settings on the stb and is the most common reset done by Verizon.

The second is the Initialization. Also known as a reload. This one will not clear your recorded programs but will reset personalized settings (favorite channels, parental controls, and custom video settings on the stb)

The third is the factory reset, This one you loose everything, This is usually accompanied by a clearing of the hard drive. Not always but most of the time and the clearing of the hard drive deletes all your recordings. This one is rarely done even by Verizon.

So he was probably hit with a Initialization and that is what cleared his settings. Yes it would be nice if they could keep some settings but that is what the Init is for. To undo any changes on the box and set it back to default. Like resetting the router.

0 Likes
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

They reset the box due to Caller ID issues, and after the reset, the box was on channel 131, the FIOS instruction channel, and when I pushed the favorite button,  I had lost all my settings.  They finally fixed my Caller ID issue, but during the fix, they reset my box several times.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, the reset the moves the channel to 131 is the Init. It clears all the settings to default and re-downloads the program guide and menu settings. This is why you lost the favorite channels.

It woud be nice if the box could have a "save configuration file" like a router does. so after you reset it, you can load back in your personal settings. Wonder if that would be possible with stb's that dont have hard drives? Interesting proposition if I do say so myself.

0 Likes