Re: Feature requests(s)
Kathleen
VZ Employee Emeritus

Excellent suggestions, CapnTrips and nascar.  In fact, many of your suggestions have been forwarded to the appropriate parties for review.  So your feedback has not gone un-heard.  Keep the suggestions coming ... cause we are listening.  Plus the Verizon Forums are still very young ... so stayed tune ...

And thank you both for taking the time to let us know what we can do better

Regards,

Kathleen

Verizon Forums Team Administrator

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you for responding Kathleen.  It's comforting to know that we are not simply speaking to ourselves.  In keeping with the numbering scheme I have already started in this thread, I'd like to add feature request number nine:

(9) Activate (or program) the PIP capability in the DVR. It has two tuners, the remote has buttons that send actual signals for the Motorola box's presumed PIP functions.  Why not?  The capability was certainly designed into the DVR.  Why not let the user use it?

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Thank you Kathleen.  I'm glad Verizon is listening. 

I would be very interested in being part of a user group to provide feedback.  I would imagine many people here would be interested as well.  I would enjoy helping make FiOS TV a better experience for all.

Thank you again.

Kathleen
VZ Employee Emeritus

Hi nascar,

Thank you for your enthusiasm.  I will forward your request along to the appropriate party.  I'll let you know what they say. 

Regards,

Kathleen

Verizon Forums Team Administrator

0 Likes
spta97
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have stated this in other threads, but my two main problems are:

1) Lack of hard drive space

2) Inaccurate guide data

I am really happy with the picture quality of FIOS TV, but these two issues may force me to go back to DirecTV unless they are resolved.  I currently have to have two DVRs to keep up with my and my wife's recordings which defeats the purpose of the Multiroom DVR.  Not to mention that you cannot stream video from the MMDVR to a HD DVR.  Verizon neglected to mention this to me when I signed up so now I have to record shows in both places.

I would be more than happy with the capability to add a drive via eSATA or USB, but I also like the idea of using a network storage device (ie: PC or stand alone networkable HD). 

sargepepper
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just switched to FiOS TV after using the Dish Network for a few years.  For now, I'd have to say that the FiOS STBs and DVR are the biggest issues for us.  A number of problems have already been addressed (e.g. drive size) but I'd like to add a few I have not seen mentioned, and WERE available with the Dish DVR:

1. In a multi-room setup, I could *fully* control the DVR from another room - I could set recordings, set priorities, view and delete shows from the 'remote' rooms.  With fiOS I can only view the recorded shows.

2. Because the dish DVR was a 2-tuner device, I could record 2 different shows at the same time, one on each tuner. 

3. All shows were viewable on every STB, regardless of resolution (HD or SD).

4. When viewing the listings for recorded shows, the DVR does not display the original air date. This was a great help when watching various shows, so that we could watch them in sequence, regardless of when they were recorded. 

I would also like to add my voice to those asking for the media manager to allow for more video and audio types to be played, as well as DRM-protected files.  Why should I not be able to access MY media on MY system - I can't "broadcast" any of this to my neighbors so it's all "in-house" and legal. Please remove this restriction.

Thanks for 'listening'.  I hope this goes somewhere.

Justin46
Legend

sargepepper,

One comment on your list:

2) The HD-DVR from Verizon is a two tuner DVR, you can a) record two channels at once (and watch something previously recorded if you want, or either of the two channels being recorded), or b) record one channel and watch another while recording the first.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
sargepepper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin - you are correct.  i got that wrong.  thanks for the heads up.

I did recall another item I wanted to mention as a potential improvement.  Again, we had this with the dish Network DVR and liked it. When I pressed the 'Guide" button on eht remote once, the guide would display all channels.  Pressing "guide" again would then display ONLY HD channels.  This made it very easy to find whatever program on the HD channel, rather than having to brtowse for it or remember what the NBC HD channel number was.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@sargepepper wrote:

I did recall another item I wanted to mention as a potential improvement.  Again, we had this with the dish Network DVR and liked it. When I pressed the 'Guide" button on eht remote once, the guide would display all channels.  Pressing "guide" again would then display ONLY HD channels.  This made it very easy to find whatever program on the HD channel, rather than having to brtowse for it or remember what the NBC HD channel number was.

I am not aware of any equivalent function in the FiOS DVR, but here are a couple of thoughts:

1) If you have the 1.6 level of the IMG, I understand that you can set up two Favorites. One thing you could do is set up one of those to be HD channels only. Not a great solution, but might help.

2) If you hit the big FiOS TV button or the OK button on the remote, then hit the Up Arrow above the OK button, you get the Guide displayed on the right side of the screen. If you then type in the lowest HD channel number (still 801 for me at 1.5 IMG), I get the first HD channel and can go up from there. If you hit the Down Arrow button instead of the Up button, you get the current channel guide entry overlaying the channel information, and you can then type in the lowest HD channel number and that entry displayed.

3) If you hit the Menu button, then TV Listings, then Right Arrow, then HD Channels, you get the HD channels only (yeah, I know, lots of button pressing, but it works...)

4) If you buy a programmable remote, I imagine you could program individual buttons to do any of the above so that it would work the way you want (extra money, but money is no object, right? Just kidding...).

Keep in mind I am not on the latest IMG level yet, so what I have put above may not be correct for 1.6.

There are probably more "undocumented" techniques to do more with the guide, maybe some others here will chime in and give us more ways to do good things.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
CherylPDX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you CapnTrips for starting this thread. It's nice to be able to put forth ideas in a civilized manner and have someone actually listen to them!  The customer service people I've spoken to can't/don't know everything there is to know about this service, so maybe by posting here, we can get our feedback to the powers that be - feedback from people (us) who care enough about the service to take the time to actually post their thoughts and concerns here instead of just cancelling it out of frustration. We are the end users of Verizon products and services, so our opinions are valid and important, and should be taken seriously.  We want this to work just as badly as you do Verizon.

I'm in the Portland, Oregon area, and have had Fios TV, with an HD/DVR box, (along with phone/internet) since they brought it to our area earlier this year. Overall, I'm happy with the service (so far), but I have a comment/suggestion relating to the guide that I wanted to put forth. I haven't yet found anything relating to this in the forums. It may not be as important to others as more HD space (I'm another yea vote for this one!) or some other concerns, but it would make surfing the guide a bit more convenient for those of us wanting to quickly identify new programs.

The current way the guide uses to identify a show that's "new" (meaning first-run) is by placing a red star icon with the word "new" inside, on that show's description page, along with any other pertinant icons (CC, HD, rating etc.).  But in order to see if a show is "new," you have to actually choose that program from the guide and hit "ok" to then display that program's description page.  If the show isn't new, you have to page back and continue scrolling, selecting and viewing descriptions. Plus, many programs repeat several episodes during the day, and you can't tell which of them is the "new" one without going into each description, one at a time. This is very tedious and time consuming.

My suggestion is to place the "new" red star icon on the first page of the guide for each show that is running a new episode. There is plenty of room under the small description on the first page where the time bar and other icons are.  This way, when we're scrolling down the channels, we can see instantly if a show is new or not.  The icons underneath the small description are the same icons that are displayed on the second, main description page. Since they are already programmed on the description page, just use that same code to display the icons on the front page of the guide, including the "new" icon.

Although I don't know programming, it seems like this would be a fairly easy fix to make, and would make surfing channels to see what's new sooooooo much quicker and easier. Anyone else out there think this would be nice?

Just my two cents from a newbie.

Oh...by the way, does anyone know what the red/white, downward-pointing triangle icon means that shows up on some on-demand movies descriptions? I can't figure it out to save me. It seems to be on just a few movies, but doesn't follow any rhyme or reason as to what it's supposed to be telling us.  It must be there for a reason. Anyone know why?