Re: Fed up with Vms4100 lip sync issues
Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh also, can't swap without contacting Verizon. It's my only box. No minis in the house. 

0 Likes
Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

And 4:4:4 is the default setting of the box in the user settings menu. I could change it but it'll just revert back with the rest of the settings..

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

I have tried 1080i, albeit in the video menu of the non service menu. I keep it at 2160p because I noticed no difference and because I occasionally get to watch football in 4k on channel 1498. And some on demand stuff is in 4k also. So id have to switch back and forth when I wanted to watch 4k content.

Do you think it's possible that video settings, such as resolution of color depth.. Can have an effect on audio? 

It is possible as the processing that occurs for video could be delaying audio too much. The default color space should be 4:2:2. not 4:4:4. Not sure how the video conversion in the Fios box works, but anything is possible at this point. By choosing 4:4:4 you are making the box upsample all the programming to 10 bit color. Believe me that odds are almost nothing on Fios is in 10 bit color. You are probably lucky if most of it is in 8 bit. Try changing to 4:2:2 and see if it helps. Ill check with a tech to see why your settings only stay for a couple of days.

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow thanks. I would really appreciate that. There's no rhyme or reason to the reset on my end (as in, I don't unplug the box). Will try switching the color space but like I said, that I appears to be the default setting. 

Your continued responses are truly appreciated 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

Wow thanks. I would really appreciate that. There's no rhyme or reason to the reset on my end (as in, I don't unplug the box). Will try switching the color space but like I said, that I appears to be the default setting. 

Your continued responses are truly appreciated 

Sent tech a note about settings not staying. We'll see what they say! You actually might want to try unplugging both the power to the box and the HDMI from the box for 5 minutes, then replugging.

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Worth a shot. Will try and leave everything unplugged for a bit. BTW, when I check color space in the user settings.. I have two options. 4:4:4 and RGB. That's it.

I'm quite interested to know if they'll know why my user settings won't stay. So thanks for that. 

By the way, I haven't found a resolution from it, but I can change the expected hdmi audio input on my TV as well. I have options for digital sound out of Auto, Passthrough and PCM. Currently set to passthrough for earc. And for hdmi audio input format, I have Bitstream and PCM.

None of these have made a difference from what I can tell other than forcing PCM. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

Worth a shot. Will try and leave everything unplugged for a bit. BTW, when I check color space in the user settings.. I have two options. 4:4:4 and RGB. That's it.

I'm quite interested to know if they'll know why my user settings won't stay. So thanks for that. 

By the way, I haven't found a resolution from it, but I can change the expected hdmi audio input on my TV as well. I have options for digital sound out of Auto, Passthrough and PCM. Currently set to passthrough for earc. And for hdmi audio input format, I have Bitstream and PCM.

None of these have made a difference from what I can tell other than forcing PCM. 

So far tech said if the settings in the normal user menu don't match what you set for the Service menu, they will reset to user menu settings. Still waiting for more clarity on this. If you force PCM out of the TV it only sends stereo? Technically, PCM can also be surround, it is the raw signal sent to be decoded by the receiving device. Bitstream decodes the audio in the sending device. If you send PCM to a receiver, it has to be set to multichannel audio to work correctly, so I assume your soundbar would have to be setup the same way. I do know the Fios box set to PCM sill only send stereo out though.

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey. No it doesn't force stereo. Just PCM which I assume is multichannel. The soundbar does let me know if it's getting LPCM or DD. And it does say LPCM when I switch the TV audio input to PCM. Sounds the same as DD.

Basically, the options on the TV don't do much.

I'm not sure what might be the mismatch in my user settings...

I set two things in user menu (not service). Sharpness 1 and Audio Passthrough Enable. When the service menu reverts, it reverts to sharpness 3, Auto audio output and Auto lipsync. The sharpness in the user menu does reflect the reversion to 3. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

Hey. No it doesn't force stereo. Just PCM which I assume is multichannel. The soundbar does let me know if it's getting LPCM or DD. And it does say LPCM when I switch the TV audio input to PCM. Sounds the same as DD.

Basically, the options on the TV don't do much.

I'm not sure what might be the mismatch in my user settings...

I set two things in user menu (not service). Sharpness 1 and Audio Passthrough Enable. When the service menu reverts, it reverts to sharpness 3, Auto audio output and Auto lipsync. The sharpness in the user menu does reflect the reversion to 3. 

Ok, if PCM sounds the same to you as DD, then they have updated the Fios box to truly pass through the original format instead of converting to stereo when set to PCM. Like I explained earlier, the soundbar is doing the decoding when the box is in PCM mode, not the Fios box, that's why it says LPCM instead of DD. If that gets rid of delay, you have your solution. As far as the sharpness changing, tech says to change the setting in BOTH the user and service menu.

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry I think it got confusing. Changing the hdmi audio input of my TV to PCM may sometimes show LPCM on my soundbar. And it sounds the same as DD. It doesn't fix the delay. 

LPCM in the service menu still forces stereo. 

0 Likes