FiOS Local QAM channels not available - Baltimore
MattCL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am subscribed to a Verizon Fios Local TV package in the Baltimore area.  I have my coax line connected directly into two televisions.  I only watch the news so I don't see the need for a set top box.  For over a year I have been able to tune into the local networks without issue, channels 2.1, 11.1, 13.1, and 45.1.

Today none of those channels are working.  The list as "Channel Not Available".  When I try to tune into the channel, the tuner indicates those channels are sending no signal.

Does anyone know what this issue could be?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Local QAM channels not available - Baltimore
WOWJr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

RE: "Just as we have feared, the technician informed me that the QAM channels were only available through renting a box ($10 a month) from the big V"

While I prefer not to pass judgment about something at which I was not present, if that's what the tech said, he's wrong.

First, QAM (generically) is a method of modulating a signal to convey information. (It stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation.) The signal can be unencrypted ("ClearQAM") or encrypted. ClearQAM is demonstrably available with FiOS: Any digital-cable-ready device (e.g., a modern television) can scan a FiOS-provided signal and will properly receive at least 20 channels, primarily the ones otherwise available locally via over-the-air broadcast. Encrypted QAM requires some type of decryption mechanism, primarily for cable-only networks like USA, TNT, and HBO. In most cases, this is built-in to a set top box, but a CableCARD also provides this function.

What has happened since ~June 3 or 4 is not the loss of ClearQAM channels. Rather, as pointed out earlier in this thread, the PSIP metadata (Program and System Information Protocol) which Verizon had been including was removed from the ClearQAM signal. Among other things, PSIP can provide a virtual channel number for certain QAM physical channels. Example: Baltimore station WJZ (CBS) is on physical channel 72.30 (or 72.1030, depending on the receiving device) and normally PSIP would enable you to see that as 13.1.

Since the PSIP metadata has been removed, ClearQAM receiving devices (e.g., televisions, HD Homerun Dual digital receivers, etc.) can now "see" only the "raw" physical channels. We humans would much prefer to switch to channel 13.1 rather than 72.30, but right now we can't. Channel 72.30 still broadcases WJZ-HD, it's just harder to find initially and to use ongoing.

In addition to the above, when I initially signed up for FiOS (March 2012, completely online, no humans involved), the configurator allowed me to specify exactly how each television in my house (there are 2) would connect. I specified a CableCARD for the primary TV and ClearQAM (it may have said "QAM", I don't recall) for the basement TV. The configurator made it clear the ClearQAM connection would only receive local channels, but it absolutely allowed the configuration WITHOUT requiring ANY type of set top box. That's been my situation since FiOS was installed in April 2012. Since then, I do not recall receiving any notices that Verizon was removing the ability to "direct connect" a digital-cable-ready TV to their service.

BOTTOM LINE:

1. Receiving ClearQAM channels still works (may require a rescan).
  2. Removing the PSIP metadata makes ClearQAM a pain to use.
  3. Let's hope someone at Verizon restores the PSIP metadata.

FYI, SiliconDust has a pretty complete list of FiOS ClearQAM channels with their virtual equivalents. It's not perfect, but it's about as good as any I've seen:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

After entering your postal code and clicking Search, be sure to select "Verizon FiOS" at the top left of the page displayed.

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

Try rescanning your TV.  It sounds like Verizon has reassigned QAM channels again.

0 Likes
MattCL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did rescan them.  Not many were found, and none of them have station identifiers anymore.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the PSIP data is gone.

I can still get the channels, but they don't show up with titles and the mapped channel numbers (4-1, 4-2, etc).

0 Likes
MattCL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way I can tell which is WBAL, etc?

0 Likes
WOWJr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like CRobGauth is correct. Bummer - very inconvenient.

Thanks to Windows Media Center, I do have most of the local channels:

FiOS                      ClearQAM
Channel Call Sign (PSIP)    Channel
  29    WGN America         55.100
  49    WeatherScan         66.158
 119    Weather Channel    123.103
 460    WBAL meTV (11.2)    71.4850
 463    WMAR LiveWell (2.2) 71.1048
 465    WBFF This (45.2)    73.1034
 470    WHUT PBS (32.1)     78.4680
 473    WETA tv26 (26.4)    64.4863
 474    WETA UK (26.2)      64.4864
 480    WMPT-2 (67.2)       73.4870
 509    WUTB my24 (24.1)    74.4524
 510    WBFF Fox (45.1)     73.4850
 511    WBAL NBC (11.1)     71.1028
 512    WMAR ABC (2.1)      71.1026
 513    WJZ  CBS (13.1)     71.1030
 514    WNUV CW (54.1)      72.4804
 522    WMPT PBS (67.1)     73.1021
 526    WETA PBS (26.1)     64.1023

However, if Verizon rearranges the QAM channel lineup without the PSIP data, the only way to get this information in the future will be to rescan then laboriously go through each clear channel to see what is what.

It looks like Verizon is gradually trying to force everyone to move to a set top box or CableCARD.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Looks like the PSIP data is gone.

I can still get the channels, but they don't show up with titles and the mapped channel numbers (4-1, 4-2, etc).

When Verizon re-assigned QAM channels in the past the PSIP often broke -- and was eventually fixed.  Hopefully that will be the case now.

0 Likes
WOWJr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone know of a way to communicate with Verizon that might light a fire under someone to restore the PSIP data?

0 Likes
MrMGB31

Don't even bother.

I was on the phone for an hour this morning. First billing to try and understand if they changed my plan. They stated I had an order pending since January. I asked to speak to someone technical.

I was forwarded to Tech Support and since I wasn't home they couldn't troubleshoot. I was put on hold for at least 30 minutes.  They are dispatching a tech out tomorrow. I don't understand why one minute I'm watching Fox on Channel 5-1 and then the signal is gone.  They said they weren't supposed to be any changes to my service. The lady at billing kept saying I needed to rent a box. F No! I haven't had to use a box since I plug the coax directly into my tv and it has worked up until last night!

Fios has been fine up until now...

If this keeps up I'm going back to the antennae that was working fine before.

0 Likes
MattCL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this is very frustrating.  

Partly that it isn't working, and if I need to cancel my television service so be it.  But what makes me the most upset is that no one from Verizon will confirm if it should or should not work.   No one at Verizon tech support can tell me anything about QAM mappings or PSIP identifiers (I called them, too).  

Does anyone from Verizon read these forums, or is this just a community support site? 

0 Likes