FiOS One Rebooting when not in use
No_Idea
Enthusiast - Level 2

For several weeks I have had a VERY strange problem.  I live in a newly constructed home, and just had a tech verify all of my internal coax.  My Arris STB reboots several times a day when it is not in use.  At first, I thought it was the box.  Verizon sent me a new one, but I had he same issue.  I took that same box upstairs, and connected it directly to an old TV, and it worked perfectly for my week-long test (no reboots).  In both locations, I have the same signal on the info screen.  It has also never rebooted while we are watching it.  Only when the TV is either off or we are streaming from another source.

My current setup is:

LG OLED65B8PUA <-> (HDMI passthrough) Sony HTZ9F (HDMI passthrough) <-> Arris STB

My thought is that when the HTZ9F is on a different input, the Arris STB gets into a weird state.  I disabled HDMI-CEC on my LG TV and the SonyHTZ9F.  I also attempted to disable it on the STB, but it’s difficult to know if that worked or not. Has anyone else had this problem?  I found a couple of “rebooting threads” but they weren’t applicable.

thnak you!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS One Rebooting when not in use
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is an option under the fios voice control called "video input control" or something like that. Make sure that is off.

No_Idea
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! That’s the setting I already changed, but could not recall where it was.  I had high hopes, but that didn’t work either.  I’m trying a new HDMI cable overnight to see if that helps.  Part of me hopes that it does, but a larger part of me hopes it does not because that would mean drywall work to replace the existing in-wall cable 🤦‍♂️

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you also check all coax connections and the splitter? Also does the router reboot at the same time?

No_Idea
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did have the coax checked by the company that installed it and it's fine.  I ~think I may have found the problem.  I wasn't sure how an HDMI cable could cause this issue, but I broke out a 25' cable to bypass my cable that is behind drywall.  So far, one day later and it hasn't rebooted.  If this is the problem, then I hopefully have a way forward that will unfortunately involve drywall mud and paint.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad you may have found the cause, just make sure the cable is 18g certified.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you decide to "open" up the walls, put 2 well labelled cables in there.

When I did a renovation, I did that, a few years later had to use the "other" buried cable.

How could an HDMI cable cause reboots?
No_Idea
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started this thread last week: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Technical-Assistance/FiOS-One-Rebooting-when-not-in-use/

After weeks of troubleshooting, I isolated the problem to the HDMI cable in my wall.  When I bypassed it using an external cable, the reboot problem goes away.  That said, I’m perplexed what to tell my contractor (who will replace the cable) what is wrong.  If there were an HDMI-CEC problem, I would assume it could turn it on/off randomly, but not reboot.  What should I ask him to do differently with the new cable?

Do I need better shielding(CL3 vs CL2)?  Do I need a different HDMI standard?

0 Likes
Re: How could an HDMI cable cause reboots?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would make sure the cable is in-wall rated, at least 18G certified and has no tight bends along its run. Also make sure it contains ethernet for eARC compatibility.