FiOS QIP6146-X HD STB/DVRs?
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our original HD STB/DVR was a Motorola QIP6146-2.  Due to a DVR problem, Verizon has sent me another to replace it (and I'm to send the original one back).  The replacement is a model QIP6146-1.  How is this different from the QIP6146-2, and is it as capable as the original one?

cheers,

jerry

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS QIP6146-X HD STB/DVRs?
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

The replacement STB/DVR had its own problems, and so a technician was dispatched.  He confirmed that the -1 was simply an older model than the -2, and they had the same capabilities.  The replacement was a refurbished model (and that's why it was older).  He replaced it with a new unit (QIP7216).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I assume you mean a QIP6416, not 6146.

I have a QIP6416-1, have had it for 5 years. Works just fine. I have never had a -2, but the hard drive is the same size, I think it is a matter mostly of the amount of memory and cpu speed, which I don't think will have any effect using the current Verizon software.

Here is a link to the Motorola website page for the QIP6416:

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/TV+Video+Distribution/Customer+...

On that page there is a link to the data sheet; there is no mention of -1 or -2, but there are some references to the cpu "minimum", etc.

I had some software glitches in the beginning with my -1, but it has pretty much been rocksolid for the last 3 to 4 years or so. It would not bother me to get another -1 if my current DVR failed.

Of course YMMV.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

That may be a "feature" code (for installed options) and not necessarily a model number or version.   Does one box maybe have an RF output on and the other no RF output?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS QIP6416-X HD STB/DVRs?
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well duh, of course the model numbers are QIP6416-x.  My mistake.

No, both STBs lack an RF OUT connector (in spite of one being shown in the user manual I found online).

jerry

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

How about other outputs?  Could also be a chipset thing too ... like maybe the USB ports at 1.0 vs 2.0 (not that you can actually use them for anything).    Very curious ...

0 Likes
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

I visually compared the back panels of the two units: identical.

cheers,

jerry

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JerryW wrote:

No, both STBs lack an RF OUT connector (in spite of one being shown in the user manual I found online).

jerry

Motorola offers some optional connections on those boxes. If you read the Motorola documentation you will find connectors, generally marked as optional, that Verizon chose not to order. Verizon provides, or at least used to provide, a brochure on the QIP6416 that showed and listed specifically the features included; RF Out is one that is/was not included.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

The replacement STB/DVR had its own problems, and so a technician was dispatched.  He confirmed that the -1 was simply an older model than the -2, and they had the same capabilities.  The replacement was a refurbished model (and that's why it was older).  He replaced it with a new unit (QIP7216).

0 Likes