Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 Audio Pass Through Only Passing 5.1 Channels
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just checked and found several former 5.1 channels are now only outputting 2ch stereo instead of 5.1 as they should. The signal in the diagnostic menu shows 5.1, my AVR shows 5.1 but the audio is only 2ch. Posted to Verizon direct on DSL forum for answer, I'll post any replies here.

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3
Going to pass through in the service menu is the origin of the issue. On my previous 3 FiOS boxes there was never an issue with setting the audio to pass through there. If the show was in stereo it passed it through as stereo and 5.1 was passed through as 5.1. I'll check the diagnostic menu although I'm sure the results found by clem53 will be the same for me.
Tadslippy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep. Using HDMI from a just installed fios one box to a Denon AVR set to dolby surround. The passthrough and auto setting appears to passthrough a 5.1 signal - and if the source content is stero - it's passing a 5.1 mix with only audio on the left and right channel. This leaves me no easy option to have the reciever remix the audio - thus no center.  I'm suprised at the amount of content this seems to be happening on (current HBO series on demand  - big little lies). 

Switching to PCM on the fios box passes a usable signal - but every night the box seems to have reverted to 'auto'. I can't have the family mess with a diagnostic menu on a daily basis to be able to hear.

Edit: just saw another post that just switched to using optical (through an hdmi audio inserter no less).  I'll give optical out to the AVR a try as a workaround.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tadslippy wrote:

Yep. Using HDMI from a just installed fios one box to a Denon AVR set to dolby surround. The passthrough and auto setting appears to passthrough a 5.1 signal - and if the source content is stero - it's passing a 5.1 mix with only audio on the left and right channel. This leaves me no easy option to have the reciever remix the audio - thus no center.  I'm suprised at the amount of content this seems to be happening on (current HBO series on demand  - big little lies). 

Switching to PCM on the fios box passes a usable signal - but every night the box seems to have reverted to 'auto'. I can't have the family mess with a diagnostic menu on a daily basis to be able to hear.

Edit: just saw another post that just switched to using optical (through an hdmi audio inserter no less).  I'll give optical out to the AVR a try as a workaround.

Exactly the same here, even down to the Denon AVR. The optical out will give you stereo without going into the service menu, you can do it through the basic menu, but it will be stereo only. The Denon should be able to create a center channel from that, and it should stay put. I never turn the box off, only the receiver and the TV so I never noticed the pcm stereo  reverting as you did. Fios tech was not helpful today, stating over and over again they have no control over the signal provided to them, ignoring the fact their box is resembling the audio on it's own. I was told it would be looked into.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just checked something on the Denon receiver;  if you use the green movie button on the remote, change to DD+neural:x, you'll get your surround and center channel back with the 4100box set to pass-through over HDMI.  Best I can come up with for now, at least you don't need to go to optical!

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Senior moment alert, meant to say: multi channel stereo, in above post. Sorry about that.

Jifi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem with last week installation.  Had to reject VMS-4100 unit and install older VMS-1100 unit instead.  Very disappointed.  This is out of control -- I cannot believe that Verizon's latest flagship DVR cannot support surround sound -- actually breaks it, instead.  They have to get this fixed!

I wonder if the IPC-4100 minis can do any better with supporting DD 5.1 surround sound properly.   I didn't get to try that.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

The mini is exactly the same. There is no working option to get unprocessed audio from either of the 4100 series boxes at this time. I have another complaint in with Verizon techs, but please go to dslreports.com,  the Verizon TV forum and post the issue to Verizon Direct. The more voices the better.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3
Please everybody read the original issue at hand! The VMS4100 doesn't do pass through audio! Regardless of what you set the Denon (or any other AVR) for, the problem still remains! Every FIOS box before the VMS4100 would pass whatever audio (5.1 or stereo) the provider of the channel (MTV, ESPN etc.) was sending out as, long as you had the box set for pass through (I gave instructions in my 1st post on how to do this) as the provider intended it do be sent out and allow your receiver/sound bar/ tv to handle the processing. Currently, regardless of what signal the provider is sending out (whether stereo or 5.1 surround) the VMS4100 sends it as 5.1 surround when audio is set to Pass Through in the BUI Main Menu! I received a message twice from Fios saying that they were working on a fix........about 3 months ago!
0 Likes
mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3
Ok, turns out this problem has been going on for almost 6 months! **bleep**?!
0 Likes