Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 Audio Pass Through Only Passing 5.1 Channels
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@mtk12002 wrote:
Ok, turns out this problem has been going on for almost 6 months! **bleep**?!

The problem originated with the 4100 series. We were using the receiver to verify the audio output of the boxes, which is always Dolby 5.1 regardless of original source. Look back at some of my posts and you'll see documented proof of the original signal, and the processing being applied by the 4100. Not only is the box converting everything to 5.1, but Dolby Audio compression is being applied regardless of your settings in the menu. The compression settings only apply to the analog audio outside, not the optical or HDMI outs. Like I said, please contact Verizon support directly.

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3
I was told that a team is working on giving users the flexibility to keep their audio pass through settings as is or opt to up-convert as desired on the 4100 series of devices. The team that is working on this issue says that their is no temporary workaround that can be shared. They say up-convert, but it's really not up-converting as much as it's re-encoding audio. Anyway, I'm going to see about downgrading back to the 1100.
0 Likes
mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3
Got my VMS-1100 on Tuesday and hooked it up. Good to go! Audio pass through is working as it should! Dolby stereo programming is passed through in Dolby stereo and Dolby 5.1 is passed through as Dolby 5.1!
Jifi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The following thread mentions some picture quality issues with the older VMS-1100, which my testing has confirmed.  It seems one currently has to pick between surround sound and best picture quality.  

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Technical-Assistance/Poor-Picture-Quality-on-Quantum-TV/m-p/85...

If picture quality is more important to you than having surround sound, then think twice before downgrading to the VMS-1100 from the VMS-4100.

Verizon, can you PLEASE, PLEASE fix the surround sound issue with the VMS-4100 soon?  (so it doesn't drop the center channel, and maybe more troubles)  Many of us want to hear *and* see our FiOS TV content in the high quality that we expected.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this conversation pertains to audio issues with Fios TV One, please stay on topic.  Other issues with Fios TV One are discussed elsewhere.  Thank you.

dannyk100
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue is over a year old.  WAKE UP VERIZON!   How can this not be addressed yet!?

dannyk100
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can this still be an issue Verizon?!  This has been going on for well over a year already.  LETS GO ALREADY!

dannyk100
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmm.  I am not experiencing that even after getting in to the white screen user settings and changing to "pass through".  Did you do anything else?  What setting are you using in the regular black menu settings for audio out (Stereo or Surround)?

EDIT:  Just re-read that you went back to 1100.  Disregard.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Ruinfaust

I know this is an old thread but had the same issue and there is a hidden menu to set the box to L-PCM or passthrough that tech support walked me through.  It fixed the issue for me and now 5.1 and 7.1 work. And the issue of stereo on main channels is gone.

"with the STB on hit power-ok-ok-then  left arrow at this screen--- this will open a diagnostics menu you can back out of one level and then youwill see user settings-press ok and will find lpcm under addl hdmi audio output

0 Likes
mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3

That doesn't solve the problem with the audio, as now you receive L-PCM on every channel, not 5.1 Dolby or even 7.1 as you claim. I talked about doing this in the 1st post when I created the thread which btw, you can get to the same menu quicker by just holding down the green button on your remote for 5 seconds, so Fios support is really on the ball! I received a message from Fios saying that they are working on correcting the issue and are going to have audio passthrough available in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

0 Likes