FiOS TV & Cable Cards
Aadain

I have FiOS TV and Internet and am using the default ActionTec router that was given to me when it was all installed.  I also have a Series3 Tivo with two Cable Cards, also from Verizon.  What I would like to do is use a new/better wireless router.  I've read that the ActionTec router is needed for the FiOS TV, which is why I haven't simply switched out my current router for a better one.

My network looks like this (note, this is all in an apartment)

1) Box in close, with both ethernet and coax running through wall to the other side.

2) Ethernet connected to router's WAN connection

3) Splitter on coax cable, with one cable running to router and one to Tivo on the other side of the room

Since I'm using cable cards and my own DVR, do I really need the coax connection on the router?  I get all my line up information from the Tivo service, not Verizon.  I do not make use of pay-per-view or video-on-demand services.  Is there anyway to remove the ActionTec router and the coax connection while keeping the TV service?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS TV & Cable Cards
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

This link might provide you some information that is useful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec

There is also a forum on the same site that has information on using the AT router as a bridge and using your own router in addition (use the search function):

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

The forum listed above has been around for years and has many knowledgeable posters.  Not a knock on this forum, just that it is very new.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS TV & Cable Cards
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are not using any Verizon set top boxes then you do not need the Actiontec router. You must first go in to the Actiontec software and release the IP address before plugging in your router or clone the MAC address of the Actiontec to your router. If it does become MAC bound you will have to call Verizon to release the IP address. Good luck.
0 Likes