×

Switch Account

FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

SOLVED
Reply
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 41 of 106
(10,772 Views)

@shawnmcf wrote:

 

As with any business, Verizon has many employees and some are jsut better at their jobs than others.

 



 

I agree wholeheartedly, but we're not talking about an anomaly here. I spoke with three different people during two different phone calls and got the same ostensibly incorrect answer, and there wasn't any question about it: according to them, I was wrong, they were right, and there was no "looking into it" to get a corrected answer.  I'm not the only one, either; there are plenty of people, some of whom have posted in this very thread, that have had the exact same experience that I had.  That suggests a failure of the system, and I'm not convinced that Verizon's customer service management even cares.  We know that customer service staff monitor these forums, and yet not one of them has posted to say something to the effect of, "We're really sorry about this, and we're taking definitive steps to inform our CSRs about the current policy.  In the meantime, if you call and get a CSR who isn't aware of the policy, direct them to such-and-such resource on our internal systems, where they can read about it."

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,059
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 42 of 106
(10,765 Views)
From what I was told a few weeks ago from one of theCSR guys on here. There was a memo going out about it because all the incorrect info given out.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 43 of 106
(10,754 Views)

TimSykes wrote:

From what I was told a few weeks ago from one of theCSR guys on here. There was a memo going out about it because all the incorrect info given out.

I'm glad to hear that, but some people obviously haven't gotten the memo yet. It would be helpful if Verizon had this memo posted to an internal information system somewhere and then posted instructions here, in this forum, telling us how we, the customers, can direct CSRs who are not aware of the current policy to this memo.  An official representative from Continental Airlines does this in the Continental forum on FlyerTalk.com all the time.  So does the guy that TiVo pays to watch the TiVoCommunity.com forums.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-16-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 44 of 106
(10,742 Views)

I agree, there IS something broken as it pertains to the CSR training.  I seem to remember a phrase from my childhood. "The customer is always right".  Over the years in big business this phrase was forgotten.  Companies that provide a service or product need consumers to thrive, but when monopolies set in, customers suffer. 

 

I have had issues in the past 3 years with Verizon, they have always taken care of my issues, however, we shouldn't have to keep calling, wasting time arguing about how to correct issues.

 

It is annoying, consumers should be handled with better care and companies such as Verizon should provide more accurate training for their CSRs.

 

In the end, after spending time on the phone with the CSRs, they have provided me with a proper resolution, it simply should be this difficult to get one.

 

thanks.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 45 of 106
(10,645 Views)

So, how about it, Verizon? Now that you're aware of the training problem and the grief that it's causing your customers, what steps have you taken to correct it? To where can we direct the CSRs to find the informational memo with the updated policy?

 

I would send this inquiry via e-mail to a manager or executive in the customer service organization, but since you've deliberately made it difficult for customers to do so, I'm afraid this forum post is all I have.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-22-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 46 of 106
(10,558 Views)
I'm in the process of ordering FiOS, and the CSR told me that I couldn't even have CableCard. This doesn't seem right. I thought CableCard was mandated by the FCC?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 47 of 106
(10,543 Views)

@inpHilltr8r wrote:
I'm in the process of ordering FiOS, and the CSR told me that I couldn't even have CableCard. This doesn't seem right. I thought CableCard was mandated by the FCC?

 

Looks like another missed memo.

 

Yes, it is mandated by the FCC, under federal regulation 47 CFR 76.1204(a)(1), which reads:

 

"A multichannel video programming distributor that utilizes navigation devices to perform conditional access functions shall make available equipment that incorporates only the conditional access functions of such devices."

 

Verizon is a "multichannel video programming distributor," a set-top box is a "navigation device [that] perform[s] conditional access functions" and a CableCARD is "equipment that incorporates only the conditional access function" of a set-top box.

 

The rest of that regulation reads:

 

"Commencing on July 1, 2007, no multichannel video programming distributor subject to this section shall place in service new navigation devices for sale, lease, or use that perform both conditional access and other functions in a single integrated device."

 

Verizon got a waiver that effectively changed this date to "July 1, 2008" for them, but it means that even Verizon's own set-top boxes have to use CableCARDs themselves at this point (because the "navigation" and "conditional access" functions cannot be "integrated" into a single device anymore).

 

Bottom line: the CSR was wrong, and by law, Verizon must rent you a CableCARD so you can use your own "navigation device" to access their programming, whether your device is a TiVo HD, an HDTV, or anything else with a CableCARD slot.

 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-22-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 48 of 106
(10,529 Views)
Thank you. I'll ring back and see if I get someone with more of a clue.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-23-2009

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 49 of 106
(10,462 Views)

FIOS cablecard nightmare for today:

 

I placed a work order for three M-cablecards, two of which were to replace my four current S-cablecards in my two Tivo's and the third for my new Tivo.  I was very explicit on what I needed and the person on the phone was very good in making sure she understood what I wanted.  I also needed to return the cable box I would no longer be using.   On my follow up call I explained again what it was I needed.

 

So today is the day the tech is to come out between 8am - 12.  He shows up at 12:15'ish and he has no "M" cards and explains that they get their stock shipped to them from PA, (I'm in Northern VA) and they get whatever.  So at this point I have him install the two S-cards in my Tivo just so i have a working TV (but not before some new policy where they have to test the ONT, which brought my Internet access down without warning, and also update firmware on the router, which reset the settings and screwed up my home network).  Tech also told me he couldn't take the cable box.  I also have one HD channel with lots of artifacting that he says is either HBO or Tivo's fault.  It wasn't HBO as it was fine on my other TV's and find it odd that only one channel is bad (I have latest Tivo update as well).

 

So after tech leaves, I call VZ and repeat the above and get told that they cannot provide M cards specifically and it's random luck of the draw what the tech comes out with.  Now this would be all fine and good if not for the fact that I am paying twice as much for something I should not have to.  If VZ would make the cost of two S cards the same as one M card then I wouldn't care but they charge the same fee no matter what type of card it is.

 

Once I get things put back together I will be calling VZ again as this is a consumer rip-off.

Message Edited by AARGH on 07-23-2009 03:44 PM
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,819
Registered: ‎08-23-2008

Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards

Message 50 of 106
(10,428 Views)

@AARGH wrote:

FIOS cablecard nightmare for today:

 

I placed a work order for three M-cablecards, two of which were to replace my four current S-cablecards in my two Tivo's and the third for my new Tivo.  I was very explicit on what I needed and the person on the phone was very good in making sure she understood what I wanted.  I also needed to return the cable box I would no longer be using.   On my follow up call I explained again what it was I needed.

 

So today is the day the tech is to come out between 8am - 12.  He shows up at 12:15'ish and he has no "M" cards and explains that they get their stock shipped to them from PA, (I'm in Northern VA) and they get whatever.  So at this point I have him install the two S-cards in my Tivo just so i have a working TV (but not before some new policy where they have to test the ONT, which brought my Internet access down without warning, and also update firmware on the router, which reset the settings and screwed up my home network).  Tech also told me he couldn't take the cable box.  I also have one HD channel with lots of artifacting that he says is either HBO or Tivo's fault.  It wasn't HBO as it was fine on my other TV's and find it odd that only one channel is bad (I have latest Tivo update as well).

 

So after tech leaves, I call VZ and repeat the above and get told that they cannot provide M cards specifically and it's random luck of the draw what the tech comes out with.  Now this would be all fine and good if not for the fact that I am paying twice as much for something I should not have to.  If VZ would make the cost of two S cards the same as one M card then I wouldn't care but they charge the same fee no matter what type of card it is.

 

Once I get things put back together I will be calling VZ again as this is a consumer rip-off.

Message Edited by AARGH on 07-23-2009 03:44 PM

I have read recently that TIVO has come out with a newer software load that does not require attenuation when connected to the FIOS system. If your new TIVO has this it could be some of the issue with HBO if your new TIVO has an attenuated signal, if it does not, then perhaps it needs to be.

 

M-Cards Strange. I have always been told S-Cards are not distributed out of VHO4 in Silver Spring and that M-Cards have been there for a long time. Hate to say but perhaps the tech only had old S-Cards and feed you bull.

 

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.