FiOS VOD quality is horrible!
bowdie4th

Every movie we purchase through FIOS Video-On-Demand has terrible picture and sound quality.   The picture and sound continuously go out.   Customer Service essentially could not help me.   I feel ripped off.    There should be an answer as to why downloaded movies are of such poor quality.   They're either formatted in low grade or the HD DVR box has an issue.  Any answers out there?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS VOD quality is horrible!
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Try rebooting your router.  VOD uses the Verizon Router to download the movie to your STB.

0 Likes
bowdie4th

Hey jumpin,

Thanks, but I did all of that.  Turned Router off and unplugged it.    Turned off HD DVR box and unplugged it.

Put the router back on and waited for it to come up and then the box.   If the quality is better after this, it is minimal.

Our Internet works pretty well. Our standard channels come in fine.   Some HD channels like NESN have a volume issue, but that's it.   Seems to only be the VOD that is really poor quality.   I read somewhere that it had to do with who does the programming for FIOS VOD, but I cannot recall the name.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

VOD should give you good quality. The VOD I see is nearly the same quality as the broadcast channels. Not quite but almost. You should be able to get nearly dvd quality out of VOD. If your not, it may be the movie itself for a problem with the broadcast. but the VOD's I've watched have all been excellent quality. I'd be talking to tech support until it gets resolved.

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

VOD should give you good quality. The VOD I see is nearly the same quality as the broadcast channels. Not quite but almost. You should be able to get nearly dvd quality out of VOD. If your not, it may be the movie itself for a problem with the broadcast. but the VOD's I've watched have all been excellent quality. I'd be talking to tech support until it gets resolved.

spacedebris Is VOD dependent on your internet speeds or do they pull at whatever speed is needed to display the program. If, lets say I have 10/2 connection would I get the same quality as if I had a 20/20 connection. If I am doing VOD on two TV's and someone is watching netflix on a computer, will my picture quality suffer.

Many times while watching netflix, I get an error says the speed of my internet has dropped and the quality of the playback is being adjusted. I have a 25/25 connection and still get issues playing back netflix and often see it drop out of the HD stream based on the speed of the internet. Could this same thing be happening with VOD.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

little complicated but...

VOD is independent from your internet.

Forgetting all the technical layers and techno jargon, the easiest way of describing this is... You have 2 "channels" of internet service. "Channel" 1 is your actual internet connection. This runs as fast as you pay for. "Channel" 2 is for VOD and VOD only. This one is for 35Mb download. Everyone that has TV service has 35Mb down for the VOD.

Even though there are 2 speeds. When your internet has issues it affects both "channels". But the VOD is to download at 35Mb regardless of the speed you pay for.

Now granted this is rather simplified but thats basically how it works.

Now technically, your internet and VOD are seperate systems, however, both go through the same router. While it shouldnt really affect your speed, putting that kind of load on the router will likely slow you down.

0 Likes
bowdie4th

Does it make sense, then, to log into my router and check out the settings?   Is there a setting in there

that you know of that I should check for the VOD channel?  I think I'll take a look around and research it a bit.

Interestingly enough I just started a free trial with netflix to stream movies right through my blu-ray player.

I hope I don't get the same issues that Gus_Gutz mentioned or I'll be cancelling that membership.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Spacedebris, 

How do you say VOD is Independent from your Internet.  Its all TCP/IP.  Now I do understand that the VZ router does QOS to give the Video traffic high priority but I'm not sure how you can say they are independent. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Spacedebris, 

How do you say VOD is Independent from your Internet.  Its all TCP/IP.  Now I do understand that the VZ router does QOS to give the Video traffic high priority but I'm not sure how you can say they are independent. 

Also, my understanding was that the cap (your subscribed bandwidth) is raised at the ONT when using VOD in addition to the QOS which assigns higher priority to the VOD over Internet.

0 Likes
dima

In my house after I turn off power on Video hub VOD start working perfectly. Fios router and TV are on different nodes. I guess this hub badly filter digital signal between nodes.

0 Likes