Re: FiOS WD FiOS DVR Expander with Correct IMG and Motorola 7216
NOVAguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like the other posters I purchased the WDBABT0010HBK-NESN 1TB DVR expander listed by Verizon as compatible with the the Motororola QIP7216 DVR.   Following the directions for expanding DVR memory on the screen I initially found the DVR was not recognizing the unit.  I called WD Technical Support and they informed me that this unit is not listed as compatible with the Motorola QIP7216, they only listed TIVO units as being compatible.   I read this posting board and followed the hint of other users of pressing and holding the power switch button on the ESATA drive.   I then got a pop up menu that indicated a new drive had been detected and asked did if  I wanted to add it as an external memory.  I answered OK and then used the standard Expand Memory option from the DVR sub-menu.  The unit is now recording on the external memory.   Unfortunately it appears the only way to know this little trick is to read posting boards like this one.   The directions that come with the WD unit are nothing but a couple of idiot level diagrams showing where to plug in the cables ( If you need these diagrams you should not even be trying this).  Amazingly their technical assistance people don't seem to know the simple step described here.     Good luck,  just do this extra push and hold of the power button on the drive  and the installation is straight forward after that. 

sfsdallas

THANK YOU!   That was an easy fix.  Worked perfectly; just as you described.

0 Likes
Re: WDBABT0010HBK-NESN DVR Expander with FIOS Motorola QIP-7232 P2
Gateguru

THANK YOU !!

My Motorola QIP-7232 P2  did not recognize my WDBABT0010HBK-NESN 1TB DVR Expander and following the tip to just  press and hold the power switch button on the ESATA drive also worked perfectly for me. 🙂

0 Likes
jlklein

Amazing...3 YEARS since this topic (AND SOLUTION) was posted and still the only place to find it is by searching Google or the forum and stumbling across this thread. Like many, I bought the User Guide-approved WDBABT0010HBK-NESN My Book AV DVR extender for my Cisco CHS435HDC DVR, followed the DVR instructions to the T (multiple times), and no joy.

I chatted with Verizon tech support, who suggested I re-format the drive with my laptop (I'd already connected it via USB to my laptop to verify it was operating properly). So I did an NTSC quick format before she told me I had to do a full FAT32 format (which actually was the original formatting). Well, Windows 7 doesn't offer FAT32 as an option, only NTFS and exFAT, so she said do a full format with exFAT.

Fast forward to the next morning (it takes a looooooong time to do a full format on a 1TB drive), and I plug it all up and...no change. Still won't see it. After I got home from work I went searching and 10 minutes later found this thread. 10 more minutes later and my drive was discovered, accepted and online, pending a reboot (after my current show stops recording).

I'm not a dumb guy...I'm not even an average PC/AV knowledgeable guy. I frickin' do this FOR A LIVING. I'm an AV Project Manager with the Department of Defense and am very hands on with my fully networked and programmable audio visual system that spans mutliple floors, buildings and sites in other states. And I had to Google this simple solution that you good people discovered and were kind enough to share with the rest of us.

WAKE UP, VERIZON! DO YOU NOT MONITOR YOUR OWN FORUMS? WHY HAS THIS INFORMATION NOT BEEN UPDATED ON YOUR SUPPORT OR FORUM FAQ'S OR KNOWLEDGE BASE??

...sigh...

Thanks for the help in solving this, fellow forum members, it is truly appreciated.

Jeff

0 Likes