Re: FiOS mobile app roku
XXV1

Had friends over who were laughing at me because their Roku TVs don't require a box (or the monthly fee that comes with it), because they have Comcast. Comcast has a Roku app that allows its customers to stream content! As it stands now, we are paying for 2 min-boxes and need a third for our kids' room. The cost to rent all those boxes really adds up! I will be switching to Comcast after our agreement is up, if they don't come out with an app of their own!

0 Likes
XXV1

I guess beta means years, because it's still totally free for Comcast customers.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it is free.

But a couple of things to keep in mind.

Comcast app does not support on demand (even free content)

With Comcast, it appears you have to pay extra for DVR service.

FIOS includes in STB service costs.

FIOS DVR is local vs cloud. To some that is a plus as your content works even if your TV service is out.

0 Likes
nickfolds

fios is charging me  $12 for a ST box and seperately for a DVR. another $12.   i'll have to complain to them if that is true what you are saying.

0 Likes
Bj4534

It's not true. Set top boxes or cable cards  are still required for access to fios content according to customer service today. We have five TVs and a DVR and they really add up vs. no monthly fee with streaming devices. Definitely looking.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

DVR is included in the price of a single STB (DVR)

If you have 2 boxes, then you will pay for two even if one is a DVR.

0 Likes
K10001
Enthusiast - Level 1

Comcast currently charges $2.86 per roku tv. Although you don't pay for a box, they charge you to stream their app through roku.  

Redrock2018

We will be doing the same due to the xfinity app. 

0 Likes
Dulgee

i'd pay for it.  if it means i can return my stb, i dont mind paying the premium for the streaming service.  in the long run it will cost them less because of the un-needed hardware. and they can make up the revenue with the fee.  for the consumer it should even out because of lack of equipment rental fees, etc...

0 Likes
jcoop2699

I’m not sure what the one downer on this post is getting at defending Verizon on this.  I can tell you flat out that the only reason I still consider going back to Comcast is because of the lack of this app.  Paying $12 a month for a cable box is such an outdated idea for one.  The Xfinity stream app is by far their most popular selling point (look it up, it’s EXACTLY what people want).  And I see Verizon just released yet another app called freaking Stream TV so people can watch freaking YouTube TV...dumbest thing EVER.  There’s an app for that, it’s called YOUTUBE.  

On another note, I’m also not sure where you heard they charge $2.86 per app...I know many that are still not paying anything.  

And on another note, IP TV was never “shelved,” it was flat out cancelled then and there.  

And another note, YES, you very much CAN watch OnDemand content in the Xfinity Stream app.

And finally, there would be no additional funding needed to support any new app because they already freaking have the app...it’s called Fios TV and it could very simply be added to the additional app stores and developed just a tad further.  

Enjoyed your attempts at making a solid case on Verizon’s half though.  Valiant effort.

0 Likes