Fio tv - Flickering
Jrazz99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I got Fios 2 months ago. When watching tv the screen lighting flickers. It almost looks like there is  bonfire going on with whatever I watch. It's not overwhelming, but noticeable. It happens for live tv, OnDemand and it I use the Fios Netflix app. I know it's not my television because when I watch Blu-Rays it doesnt do it. And when I use the Netflix app that came with my tv it doesnt do it. A town else have this problem? Or know how I can fix it?

0 Likes
Re: Fio tv - Flickering
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might be a bad HDMI cable or HDMI input. I would first try a new cable and if that doesn't work then switch to a different input.

Jrazz99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding. I will try a new HDMI cable first. As for a different input, the installer from Verizon told me to only use the

HDMI 1 on the tv. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

They installer probably told you to use HDMI 1 because they knew it would work.  They want to get everything setup, working and then move onto the next job.  They don't have time to figure out all the different configurations available with all the different customer equipment they work with.  HDMI 1 is a safe bet on most TVs.

In short, feel free to use any HDMI input you want.  The set-top-box does not care what HDMI input is used.  If HDMI 1 is faulty on your set, switch to another input to see if it works better.  If you don't know how to switch the input, consult the manual or website for your TV.

Good Luck.

Jrazz99
Enthusiast - Level 2

The installer told me to use HDMI 1 on the tv because it's the one with ARC. I plugged it into HDMI 2 and 3. I don't get a full screen when watching live tv when plugged into them.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ARC is audio return channel.  An ARC HDMI port should be used to connect to an A/V receiver, so the TV can send audio back to the AV receiver.  It shouldn't have any impact on image size.  Check your TV settings.

If you have an A/V receiver, check it's settings, too.

Remember, the goal is to see if the flickering goes away on another HDMI port.  If it does, it's most likely that a setting needs to be adjusted on one of your devices.  If it doesn't, it could be a bad cable, loose connector or even a bad set-top-box.  While it's very rare new set-top-boxes have problems, it is possible.

Good Luck.

Jrazz99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a new set top box. That didn't work. I tried the 2 other HDMI ports and that didn't work.  I checked all of the cables, replaced the ones I could. Still flickering. I finally had a tech here. He was getting bad levels from the lines coming in the house to the ONT box. He said he fix it. It worked for 30 seconds and went back to doing it again. He has to come back on Friday. Oh yeah; Other devices Blu-Ray player, apps on the tv) work great. So it's not the tv. 

0 Likes
Jrazz99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, I just want to say, thank you for your help, explanations, and replies.  I was able to narrow some M things down myself but still had to have another tech come out. We figured it out. Apparently the latest update that Fios did is not completely compatible with my Hisense TV. 

To give you the short version; taking away everything but the set-top box and my Blu-Ray player, we connected the Blu-Ray into my Hisense TV and then my smaller Vizio TV. No flickering in either. Then we connected the set-top box into the Vizio tv. No flickering. As soon as we put it in the Hinsense it began flickering. 

Again, thanks for replying 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look in the service menu of the Fios box and check the resolution setting. Try 1080I instead of 1080P. Also look at whether the color is set to 444 or 422. Try 422.