Fios Disconnects every 2 - 3 hours. VERY unsatasfied.
toapoint

Good afternoon all. This will get kind of lengthy so grab some popcorn.

I had a salesman come to my house [Very nice guy, we're facebook frineds and everyhting] and told me about the $110 price for fios, [50/35] tv and internet. Being I was paying comcast for 50/10 for $80 dollars, my wife and I were sold. So the following Tuesday a tech came out and ran a tempoary line and installed the ONT, and gave me the verizon router [Piece of junk imo]. So, with that, I was egarly excited to start hardcore gaming, streaming, the works. That was the end goal, because I wanted to uitilize the upload speed for my minecraft server, and hosting my teamspeak server.

So, the problem began exactly 2 hours after I started gaming. I disconnected from playing Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. I told my slef "Okay, this is probably just a one time thing. No biggie". Well, here I am a week later, STILL disconnecting every 2 hours. I even called and asked them to send me another one of those routers.

Here's my setup. Goes from the ONT, to the verizon Router [ http://www.actiontec.com/214.html ] to my ASUS RT-AC68U. Now I know what you're thinking... Don't use my personal router. Well, I disconnected everything from my ASUS Router, and I used the Verizon Router and had the exact same issue. And hosting a minecraft server and teamspeak, there's about 6 ports I have to put in. It was annoying.

So I ate through the suck, hoping it would fix itself and nothing worked. I called Verizon again, and for 45 minutes, I got the smae ole same ole "Check connections, unplug everything, check connections. Restart router, restart ONT, power cycling, even factory restoring the verizon router, and not using my personal router again."

NOTHING worked. So I requested a new router be shipped to me. I revceived it last night, and sure enough, no change. I've been through the forums also, disabled the IGMP, [Or IGXP, One of the 2] and UPNP. Nothing. So this goes for me to believe when I switch to ethernet this afternoon, what will this exactly fix?

Overall so far, I'm very disappointed. I switched from comcast due to their throttling and stupid behavior towards Netflix, but they NEVER disconnected me every 2 hours. Of there was a problem, they fixed it ASAP. If the ethernet doesn't fix, or I have a solution by tonight, I will be switching back to comcast. I don't pay money to these companies to be crap.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Disconnects every 2 - 3 hours. VERY unsatasfied.
toapoint

And to that note, the light on the router goes solid for a second, only a second, and then starts blinking again when it happens.

0 Likes
toapoint

The most imortant thing about this is my wife works from home some days and we have a kid on the way. If she gets fired or in serious trouble because our internet can't be trusted, Not only will I get rid of my fois, I'll get rid of our phones too and go to a service that actually cares.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

welcome to the forums.  These are peer-to-peer forums; you're talking to other customers here.  If you want a response from Verizon, you'll need to contact them directly.

To put it bluntly, nobody really cares about threats to cancel service posted on this forum.  At best, you might get some users to commiserate with you, but Verizon doesn't pay any attention.  If you want help from other users, that is a different story.  To that end, I can get you started.  Keep reading.

You mentioned that a light on the router blinks when this happens.  The router has many lights. Can you tell us which light you're talking about?  A blinking Ethernet light is no big deal, but a blinking power light is.  The color can be helpful as well.

Can you give a better description of what "disconnect" means?  Are you losing a WiFi link, Internet connectivity, or connection to a specific server?  Do all devices (games, computers, tablets, phones, ...) suffer the same problem?  Any additional details you can share about the problem will help me and others help you.

You didn't say if you're using WiFi or not when the disconnects occur.  It appears that you are using WiFi as you mentioned trying a wired link.  This is a good idea.  WiFi can have all sorts of issues, especially in apartment buildings (are you in one?).  If a wired connection eliminates the issues, then we know you need to investigate issues with WiFi.  If you haven't investigated specific WiFi channel usage in your area, that's where I'd start.

Using a 2nd router behind the Actiontec isn't a bad thing.  Many people do it without any problems.  There is a great FAQ on dslreports that discusses the various ways you can setup a FiOS home network.  Check it out; it may give you some ideas.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

Good Luck.

0 Likes
toapoint

I have contacted verizon. That's why I'm positng here.

I refuse to use WiFi, I cut it off the moment I got the router. When I say disconnect, I mean its like the internet [Actual internet connectivity] shuts off for 1 second, then comes back. In a gaming enviroment, it auto logs out, and logs back in after... 2 minutes? 3 minutes?

The lights I'm referring to is the internet light.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Internet light (the one that looks like a globe) blinks when there is traffic.  If that's the light you're talking about, it isn't indicating any errors.

Does the WAN indicator light blink or change status?

When you say you are going to switch to Ethernet, what are you talking about?  I assumed you meant switching from WiFi to Ethernet, but apparently not.  The more details you can give, the better answers you'll get.

Do other devices in your home suffer any loss of connectivity?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

It's sounding to me like your router is doing the lease renewal which Verizon has set to 120 minutes (if I recall correctly).  Usually you don't lose connectivity during that process, but it can momentarily drop your connection.

Is your connection PPoE or DHCP?  I had issues with PPoE not renewing in a timely fashion (and sometimes locking up in DHCP and requiring a reboot) but since my CO changed to DHCP that issue has gone away.

0 Likes