Fios Internet and TV: is it possible to have both coax and ethernet ports activated?
HappyWithFios

I need help!

I am a newly subscriber to Verizon Fios with Internet and TV and I am happy with it.

My current setup is: coax coming from ONT to a splitter with connection to Actiontec router and STB.

Now i would like to access internet through the etherrnet port on the ONT while keeping the TV on coax.

First question: is it possible to have both ports on the ONT activated?

Second question: My plan is to have internet distributed through the house by Cat5 wiring from the ONT and a ethernet switch. Also i plan to use an Apple Airport Extreme as a wireless router for laptops. It is my understanding that the TV needs the Actiontec router for VOB and programs. So it will stay connected on coax. Does the Actiontec WAN port also need to be connected to the ONT via ethernet?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and TV: is it possible to have both coax and ethernet ports activated?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

What you are requesting is possible (I have been hooked up that way since TV was approved in my township).  You will need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router (or pay Verizon to do it - they won't run it for free).  Then you need to request the change to CAT-5 from MoCA.  Keep in mind that you willstill need a coax connection back to the ONT from the router in order to provide the IP services to your STBs.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and TV: is it possible to have both coax and ethernet ports activated?
HappyWithFios

Thanks for the quick answer.

This is good news.

Here is  amore detailed plan of what i have in mind:

Please imagine ! and - are connection cable (cat5 or coax)

EBT--->ethernet switch---->computers in the house via Cat5

!                    !---------------->airport extreme router

!                    !

!                    !----------------->Actiontec router (with wifi off)

!                                                         !

!-----> coax splitter-------------------!

!-----------------> STB

So the Actiontec will be connected by ethernet and coax.

Does that make sense?

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

No

The actiontec has to be the first device, and will then connect to other ethernet devices.

0 Likes
HappyWithFios

@philhu wrote:

No

The actiontec has to be the first device, and will then connect to other ethernet devices.

philhu,

Thanks for your input.

However, according to this:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992

...the VZ router can be second after my router.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That is considered an advanced set up, so while it will technically work, VZ won't support it if your internet goes down.  they will make you dismantle that set up and hook it up their way with the VZ router as the first connected device.   once that gets fixed in that fashion, then you can re-hook up your system set up and if you have problems getting it to work that way, noone at vz will help you fix it.     It will definetly work, there are a lot of us who have it set up that way, I am just giving you a fair warning, re: support.  

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and TV: is it possible to have both coax and Ethernet ports activated?
prisaz
Legend

If you connect two different routers to the ONT Ethernet port through a switch, and you do manage to get a public IP address for each router, you will violate the terms of service for a residential connection. Only one public IP address is permitted.

You can not have two different router WAN connections to the Ethernet port on the ONT via a switch. I did try it with PPPOE that is used for my service, and it did work. The bandwidth is share between the two and you would end up with a public IP address on your Actiontec and Also a Public IP on your Airport. Verizon would frown heavily on this.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and TV: is it possible to have both coax and Ethernet ports activated?
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

I have a similar question, as i'm curious about a similar setup. Currently I have Fios Internet 25/25, with a WRT320N (upstairs in a closet) connected to the ONT via Ethernet that provides internet to multiple pc's. I'm looking into getting FiosTV, and so I was wondering, can I have them install the actiontec coax router downstairs next to the HDTV for use by the STBs, and just disable it's wireless function. Basically I would end up with two routers, the actiontec connected via COAX to the ONT for the STB's to use, and my WRT320N connected to the ONT via Ethernet for the PCs to use. I realize I won't be able to use the mediastreaming function with this setup, but that's fine as I already have a HTPC hooked up to the same HDTV.

Or, would it make more sense to have them setup the actiontec via coax upstairs, and then plug my WRT320N's WAN port into one of the Actiontec's LAN jacks?

Thanks!

0 Likes
HappyWithFios
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@MatthewH12 wrote:

I have a similar question, as i'm curious about a similar setup. Currently I have Fios Internet 25/25, with a WRT320N (upstairs in a closet) connected to the ONT via Ethernet that provides internet to multiple pc's. I'm looking into getting FiosTV, and so I was wondering, can I have them install the actiontec coax router downstairs next to the HDTV for use by the STBs, and just disable it's wireless function. Basically I would end up with two routers, the actiontec connected via COAX to the ONT for the STB's to use, and my WRT320N connected to the ONT via Ethernet for the PCs to use. I realize I won't be able to use the mediastreaming function with this setup, but that's fine as I already have a HTPC hooked up to the same HDTV.

Or, would it make more sense to have them setup the actiontec via coax upstairs, and then plug my WRT320N's WAN port into one of the Actiontec's LAN jacks?

Thanks!

I would say if you have Ethernet for your WAN, leave it that way. You will need to have the Actiontec as primary until they leave. Then do as you please. The Actiontec can be set as the secondary router, but must have Ethernet and COAX wired to it. It acts as a bridge to provide MOCA connectivity to the STBs. Insist they leave Ethernet enabled on the ONT. To be sure they did, log into the Actiontec and click on the globe. Be sure Ethernet WAN is active with a public IP, and not COAX WAN. Another way is to just disconnect the coax and make sure you still have Internet to your PCs. You can locate the Actiontec anywhere there is coax and ethernet cabling if you wish to use your own router. But remember you will need to let them configure the Actiontec for TV and sit your router off to the side. Verizon will not support custom residential router configurations, so be prepaired to put things back to default before calling for support. Also remote access for a DVR will not work unless the Actiontec is primary.

0 Likes