Fios Minis can't find Fios One box after its replacement
Linda_in_NJ

Hello - I just installed the new Fios One set top box since the old one was flaky (e.g. turned itself off randomly, which killed all tvs in the house, and often would turn on picture but no sound until you fiddled with it for a while). It didn't work on the LG TV - got the picture but no sound and couldn't get sound working at all, and the picture was letterboxed - but I swapped out to a Samsung and now the Fios One box seems to be working fine so odds are good it was the TV. But now I can't get any of the other three TVs to work because the mini STBs can't find the Fios One box on the network, so there's no Fios connectivity. The minis are all on wifi, and the Fios One is connected to coax cable. I rebooted my router already. Other ideas? Spent 87 minutes on hold before abandoning ship today so really hopeful someone has seen this one already! 🙂 Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Minis can't find Fios One box after its replacement
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Linda_in_NJ wrote:

Hello - I just installed the new Fios One set top box since the old one was flaky (e.g. turned itself off randomly, which killed all tvs in the house, and often would turn on picture but no sound until you fiddled with it for a while). It didn't work on the LG TV - got the picture but no sound and couldn't get sound working at all, and the picture was letterboxed - but I swapped out to a Samsung and now the Fios One box seems to be working fine so odds are good it was the TV. But now I can't get any of the other three TVs to work because the mini STBs can't find the Fios One box on the network, so there's no Fios connectivity. The minis are all on wifi, and the Fios One is connected to coax cable. I rebooted my router already. Other ideas? Spent 87 minutes on hold before abandoning ship today so really hopeful someone has seen this one already! 🙂 Thanks!

First make sure the router is broadcasting 5Ghz wifi. Next power the minis off, powercycle the router, make sure the main box has a connection, then plug the minis back in one at a time. They should find the router and connect.

0 Likes
Linda_in_NJ

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, that didn't work. After going through all the steps, I can see on my MyFios app that the Fios One box and the minis are all "active devices connected directly to your router" so that's not the problem, and I also went in and removed the old Fios One box, even though it was already shown to be inactive, because the error messages on the minis indicated they were looking to connect to that one. I then re-named the new Fios One box with the same name as the old one, powered the router off/on, and tried again - nothing - which makes sense because the minis aren't actually looking by name but I thought "what the hell? let's try it." Anyway, I did get through to the Verizon tech support line and after about 45 minutes of trying they couldn't solve it, either, so I have a technician coming on Sunday but *maybe* Friday if they get a cancellation. I'm happy to try any other ideas if you've got any - it's sad how much I miss having TV in my living room - thank you!!

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Linda_in_NJ wrote:

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, that didn't work. After going through all the steps, I can see on my MyFios app that the Fios One box and the minis are all "active devices connected directly to your router" so that's not the problem, and I also went in and removed the old Fios One box, even though it was already shown to be inactive, because the error messages on the minis indicated they were looking to connect to that one. I then re-named the new Fios One box with the same name as the old one, powered the router off/on, and tried again - nothing - which makes sense because the minis aren't actually looking by name but I thought "what the hell? let's try it." Anyway, I did get through to the Verizon tech support line and after about 45 minutes of trying they couldn't solve it, either, so I have a technician coming on Sunday but *maybe* Friday if they get a cancellation. I'm happy to try any other ideas if you've got any - it's sad how much I miss having TV in my living room - thank you!!

Ok, shot in the dark, go to settings>system>media client settings>view connections and see if the minis show up as connected to the VMS. If so, in the same menu go to disconnect media client and disconect them. Shut off all boxes, reboot router, turn on VMS, let it stabilize, turn on minis one at a time.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Also check this:

I have solved this problem finally with the help of this forum and also my own tinkering.

If you are using the G3100 Home Router please make sure your channel selection on the 5Ghz band is set to auto and also turn on DFS channels. This can be done either through verizon myfios app or through router management web portal. 

This will allow the router to auto scan for the best channel but also include channels in the DFS range (52-132). These channels are only selectable when you choose auto btw.

This is important as most routers do not have DFS channels enabled automatically and should eliminate some of the interference from other channels, especially if you are in apartment environment.

If this doesn't work for you, you can also manually select the wireless access point that your mini connects to.

To do this, go into the mini network settings. Turn on the box, using the power button on the box, while pressing the ok button on your remote 2 times very quickly. 

Once there you can select Network Configuration and set the access point.

You can go back to the original SSID by selecting the WPS option in the same config menu and then pressing the WPS button on your home router for 3 seconds.

The original SSID should be something like Fios-xxxxx-TV.

0 Likes