Fios One - Onkyo 525 issue
nicely2x1
Enthusiast - Level 2

From day one of my Fios installation, my setup has stopped working properly.  

I have the Fios One into my Onkyo-525 and the Onkyo into my LG C8 TV via HDMI Arc.

With my old cable box, if I switched from watching TV (Cable on receiver screen) to watching a streaming app (TV on receiver screen,) it would be seamless and there'd be no issues with the sound.  Now, the app starts, and the receiver shows TV, but there's no sound.

If I switch back to cable, (there's always sound,) and FIRST switch to TV through the Receiver remote, THEN switch to TV through the LG remote, it works some of the time.  

What's odd, is it sometimes all works fine the first time I turn on the TV and make the first switch.

If this all seems a little hard to follow, imagine my frustration trying to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Fios One - Onkyo 525 issue
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nicely2x wrote:

From day one of my Fios installation, my setup has stopped working properly.  

I have the Fios One into my Onkyo-525 and the Onkyo into my LG C8 TV via HDMI Arc.

With my old cable box, if I switched from watching TV (Cable on receiver screen) to watching a streaming app (TV on receiver screen,) it would be seamless and there'd be no issues with the sound.  Now, the app starts, and the receiver shows TV, but there's no sound.

If I switch back to cable, (there's always sound,) and FIRST switch to TV through the Receiver remote, THEN switch to TV through the LG remote, it works some of the time.  

What's odd, is it sometimes all works fine the first time I turn on the TV and make the first switch.

If this all seems a little hard to follow, imagine my frustration trying to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

Check: menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video input control. Try toggling it off, or on and see what happens. Depending on how the receiver handles CEC, it may solve the issue.a

nicely2x1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion, but no go.  I tried combinations of enabling/disabling CEC from the receiver and enabling/disabling from the Fios One and similar frustrations.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nicely2x wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but no go.  I tried combinations of enabling/disabling CEC from the receiver and enabling/disabling from the Fios One and similar frustrations.

Ok, try setting the audio in the Fios audio settings to passthrough. If that doesn't work, try Surround.

nicely2x1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No go, again. FYI...It was already set to Surround. 

One question is why it sometimes works/switches correctly the first time and first time only.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nicely2x wrote:

No go, again. FYI...It was already set to Surround. 

One question is why it sometimes works/switches correctly the first time and first time only.

Sounds like some kind of EDID issue when the TV switches inputs back to the box. Perhaps the Fios box is not checking the info from the TV when it switches back and it results in the sound going out. You might want to try turning the Fios box off before you make the switch, then turn it back on after you switch back. Not an elegant solution, but it might work.

nicely2x1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's not much different from the acrobatics I do now.  🙂

Would you think this is inherent with the FIOS One box or should I ask them for a new one?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nicely2x wrote:

That's not much different from the acrobatics I do now.  🙂

Would you think this is inherent with the FIOS One box or should I ask them for a new one?

Have you tried a powercycle of the box? Remove the HDMI cable, unplug power to the Fios box for at least 3 minutes, plug the box back in, plug the HDMI cable back in. Make sure you are using a High-speed certified HDMI cable. If that doesn't help go to:  menu>customer support>top support tools>Fix Fios TV issues. You could also try:menu>settings>system>reset settings. Doing that one will bring the box back to factory defaults, so any customization you did will be lost. Also try setting the audio to passthrough in the audio menu.

nicely2x1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did it all and still no good.  While the box was unplugged,  the Onkyo switched perfectly.  Clearly, it's the FIOS box.

I even switched out multiple HDMI cables.

Next suggestion?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nicely2x wrote:

Did it all and still no good.  While the box was unplugged,  the Onkyo switched perfectly.  Clearly, it's the FIOS box.

I even switched out multiple HDMI cables.

Next suggestion?

Just looked at the specs of the Onkyo TX-NR525, and noticed it is only HDMI 1.4a compatible. The Fios boxes require HDMI 2.0 compatibility for correct operation. you should also check this, from page 53 of the 525 manual:

Audio Return Ch

`Off`

Auto

:The audio signal from your TV tuner can be sent to the HDMI OUT of the AV receiver.The audio return channel (ARC) function allows an ARC capable TV to send the audio stream to HDMI OUT of the AV receiver. To use this function, you must select the TV/CD input selector and your TV must be ARC capable. The ARC indicator will light when the audio signal is detected. Default setting: ----

This setting is fixed to “----” when the “HDMI CEC (RIHD)setting is set to “Off”.• This setting is set to “Auto” automatically when the “HDMI CEC (RIHD)” setting is set to “On” for the first time.• If you set “Audio Return Ch” to “Auto”, the “Audio Selector” settings of the TV/CD input selector will be automatically switched to “ARC” (page 51).Tip• After changing the settings of the “HDMI CEC (RIHD)”, HDMI Through” or “Audio Return Ch”, turn off the power on all connected pieces of equipment and then turn them on again. Refer to the user’s manuals for all connected pieces of equipment.

That refers to the HDMI setup in the 525. If it isn't set up for CEC it wont switch to TV ARC automatically. Also the LG TV has to be setup to use CEC control, and it is setup for HDMI ARC.

That might be the cause of your problems. There are adapters that can convert HDMI 2.0 to 1.4, you might want to try one of those if none of the CEC combinations work.