Re: Fios One audio sync issue
Rico11

Thanks, but I am running the latest firmware. The only “solution” I have found thus far is changing the audio to “pass though” on the TV settings (not the set top box). However this option is only available when watching certain channels for some reason. The real problem is the 4K channels, the lag is so bad it makes them borderline unwatchable. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rico1 wrote:

Thanks, but I am running the latest firmware. The only “solution” I have found thus far is changing the audio to “pass though” on the TV settings (not the set top box). However this option is only available when watching certain channels for some reason. The real problem is the 4K channels, the lag is so bad it makes them borderline unwatchable. 

How do you have the fios box hooked up to the TV? Do you go through any other devices like a soundbar or AV receiver? Have you tried using the optical audio out or the Fios box into the TV if available? Have you tried setting the TV to game mode to eliminate the lag?

Rico11

I have the fios box hooked directly to the tv via hdmi. 
sound output is hdmi from tv to hdmi arc port on my soundbar. 
I haven’t tried optical because I was told it’s lesser quality audio than hdmi. 
I have tried game mode but it doesn’t seem to make any noticeable difference. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rico1 wrote:

I have the fios box hooked directly to the tv via hdmi. 
sound output is hdmi from tv to hdmi arc port on my soundbar. 
I haven’t tried optical because I was told it’s lesser quality audio than hdmi. 
I have tried game mode but it doesn’t seem to make any noticeable difference. 

Try running Fios HDMI to soundbar, then to TV. Optical can't pass Dolby high quality codecs but on most new TVs it can send Dolby Digital out, which is the best the Fios box can deliver, so you won't loose quality from the fios box. If its your main Fios box you could go optical direct from the box to the TV instead of going from TV to soundbar.

Kingzgambiit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you clem53! You are awesome!!!! This seems to have resolved the issue so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way but great so far. My issue was each time I changed channel, things would sync back, but after time elapsed, the sync issue was noticeable. Like for example, I watched joker on HBO (the channel, not VOD) the other night. When Arthur finds out about his mom Penny and withheld info at the ward, I noticed the out of sync slightly. I kept HBO on all night, and by morning, the sync delay grew. But your advice helped tremendously. I’m two movies in on Cinemax now to see if issue persists and it’s fine. (Knock on wood) thank you, greatly!!!!

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kingzgambiit wrote:

Thank you clem53! You are awesome!!!! This seems to have resolved the issue so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way but great so far. My issue was each time I changed channel, things would sync back, but after time elapsed, the sync issue was noticeable. Like for example, I watched joker on HBO (the channel, not VOD) the other night. When Arthur finds out about his mom Penny and withheld info at the ward, I noticed the out of sync slightly. I kept HBO on all night, and by morning, the sync delay grew. But your advice helped tremendously. I’m two movies in on Cinemax now to see if issue persists and it’s fine. (Knock on wood) thank you, greatly!!!!

Which way did you go? Optical or changing the order of the HDMI?

AlanA51

Hi Clem53,  I have same issue with STB HDMI to TV, TV HDMI-Arc to soundbar.  I would like to try your solution but my soundbar only has a single HDMI port for direct to TV Arc output.  How should I connect?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AlanA5 wrote:

Hi Clem53,  I have same issue with STB HDMI to TV, TV HDMI-Arc to soundbar.  I would like to try your solution but my soundbar only has a single HDMI port for direct to TV Arc output.  How should I connect?

Does the soundbar have optical in? If so you could try optical out of the Fios box directly to soundbar, then HDMI directly to TV. Also could go optical out of TV to soundbar.

petesza1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmmm,

Clem you are saying we should run in serial fashion from FiOS One STB to Sound Bar, and then from Sound Bar to TV, correct?  Meaning no more parallel set up from FiOS One STB to Sound Bar and FiOS One STB to TV, correct?

I think it is bigger than that.  I've seen this slow Audio issue (Audio behind Video) a lot more on Live TV like the 6pm News, which seems to be the worst.  The only way this has become easier to watch is many of the newscasters are wearing masks, so I can't see their lips!   

Next worse is live TV sports games (football where you can see Collinsworth, Romo, and other commentators speaking, is just terrible).  These are obviously live and have me thinking this is an issue with FiOS live TV processing.  And it is made worse given that is all I am doing during this pandemic! 

If we are watching a pre-recorded show delivered from the exact same FiOS One STB there is no audio slowness sync issue.  Maybe they are lower quality audio, I don't know, but same exact set up, and the issue goes away without doing a thing.  

I am going to try your suggested setup but still think this is a band-aid to address Verizon's issue that they continue to dodge.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@petesza wrote:

Hmmmm,

Clem you are saying we should run in serial fashion from FiOS One STB to Sound Bar, and then from Sound Bar to TV, correct?  Meaning no more parallel set up from FiOS One STB to Sound Bar and FiOS One STB to TV, correct?

I think it is bigger than that.  I've seen this slow Audio issue (Audio behind Video) a lot more on Live TV like the 6pm News, which seems to be the worst.  The only way this has become easier to watch is many of the newscasters are wearing masks, so I can't see their lips!   

Next worse is live TV sports games (football where you can see Collinsworth, Romo, and other commentators speaking, is just terrible).  These are obviously live and have me thinking this is an issue with FiOS live TV processing.  And it is made worse given that is all I am doing during this pandemic! 

If we are watching a pre-recorded show delivered from the exact same FiOS One STB there is no audio slowness sync issue.  Maybe they are lower quality audio, I don't know, but same exact set up, and the issue goes away without doing a thing.  

I am going to try your suggested setup but still think this is a band-aid to address Verizon's issue that they continue to dodge.

This problem is almost always caused by processing in the TV delaying the audio output in relation to video.. Sometimes putting the TV into Game Mode helps, anything that cuts down on the processing on the TV would help. Also sometimes the optical out on the TV is in sync with the video, whereas the ARC is not. When you say parallel setup, do you mean HDMI from Fios box direct to TV, then optical from Fios box to soundbar? None of the Fios boxes ever had 2 HDMI outputs. What I suggested is trying Fios via HDMI to soundbar, then HDMI out of soundbar to TV. If you go Fios to TV via HDMI then TV to soundbar via HDMI,  you could run into the video ahead of audio issue due to processing in the TV. Not long ago this affected several Samsung TVs until a firmware update fixed it. You are going to have to use a sort of shotgun approach to see what works. I would also suggest making sure passthrough is selected in the Fios audio menu. You could also try going into the Fios service menu,  disable auto lip sync, and set the audio delay to 1.