Fios One splitting 3 ways - will wireless mini boxes increase my Internet speed
MikeA66
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FIOS One with 1G up/down.  I have 3 TVs so I have a 3 way unbalanced splitter with -3.5, -7, -7 for my main TV/Internet connection plus 2 secondary TVs.  If I change my 2 secondary TVs to wireless mini-boxes and eliminate the splitter and run a direct connection to my main TV/Internet, will that increase my Internet speed since the signal won't be split?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios One splitting 3 ways - will wireless mini boxes increase my Internet speed
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MikeA66 wrote:

Thanks. Is it possible to get Verizon to run an Ethernet connection from the street to my router?  

No. Verizon runs a fiber optic cable to your house and connects it to the ONT. Then ethernet from the ONT to your router. You said you have a gigabit connection so they already ran ethernet to your router. 

View solution in original post

Re: Fios One splitting 3 ways - will wireless mini boxes increase my Internet speed
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MikeA66 wrote:

I have FIOS One with 1G up/down.  I have 3 TVs so I have a 3 way unbalanced splitter with -3.5, -7, -7 for my main TV/Internet connection plus 2 secondary TVs.  If I change my 2 secondary TVs to wireless mini-boxes and eliminate the splitter and run a direct connection to my main TV/Internet, will that increase my Internet speed since the signal won't be split?  

First, the minis do not do well on wifi. Second that would mean using wireless internet bandwidth for the minis that you aren't currently using. The decrease in signal strength through the splitter has no effect on internet speed, you either get a signal or you don't to the box. You are confusing the MoCa network used by the boxes via coax to communicate with each other and the router with your main internet feed from the router. Your best, fastest internet speed is had through an ethernet connection directly to the router, or from the router via ethernet through a switch. That is the only way any devices will see the full 1G internet speed. The VMS box has nothing to do with internet speed or distribution. You can use the coax MoCa network for internet, but it is limited to 400Mbps at best.

MikeA66
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. Is it possible to get Verizon to run an Ethernet connection from the street to my router?  

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Run an ethernet from the street to your router? Verizon uses fiber or copper lines to deliver Internet to houses. Unless you live less than 100 meters from the regional distribution center and only orders the Internet, Verizon could, in theory, just pulls a  weather-proof CAT 5e to your house? …...

Or, are you referring to pull an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router? Verizon does not fish through walls. To save money, you'd better pull one by yourself or hire a contractor.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MikeA66 wrote:

No. Verizon runs a fiber optic cable to your house and connects it to the ONT. Then ethernet from the ONT to your router. You said you have a gigabit connection so they already ran ethernet to your router.