Fios One video not passing through AVR in standby mode
Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just swapped in my new Fios One box and now only get audio passing through my AVR to the TV when the AVR is in standby.  I had no issues with the previous DVR and everything worked fine. All I did was swap in the Fios One.  If I power up the AVR the video does pass along with the audio. It should (and did) pass audio AND video to the TV (Monitor) output when in standby. I swapped out the HMDI cables with new ones provided by Verizon both for Fios-->AVR and AVR-->TV just to be sure.  I also tried a secondary HDMI input on the TV.  So, audio+video direct from Fios One to TV works fine, video from Fios One passing through AVR works fine when AVR is powered up.  Video not passing through AVR when in standby.  I guess that suggests an issue with the AVR processing the data stream from the Fios One but it's resolved when powered up.  What could be different about the data stream from the Fios One  compared to my previous DVR?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios One video not passing through AVR in standby mode
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

Thanks.  I'll do some tinkering tonight. My TV is not 4k/HDR capable but my AVR is (Denon AVR-X4300H).  Maybe the Fios One is passing 4k and the AVR is processing it to send 1080P to the TV when powered on.  It obviously can't do the processing in standby mode.  How do I change the output of the Fios One to force 1080P?  I'm pretty sure it already has my TV format set as 1080P.

You are correct about the receiver. The Fios box is seeing it as a 4K capable device, and is most likely sending out a 4K signal. When the receiver is on, it's doing the necessary downsampling which it can't do in standby mode. To change resolution in the Fios box to 1080i, which is better to use than 1080P, go to: menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video format and change resolution to 1080i. If that doesn't work, post back and I'll tell you how to change it in the service menu. Also check the passthrough settings in the Denon and make sure passthrough when off is enabled and it's set to last used input, or the one the Fios box is on.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

I just swapped in my new Fios One box and now only get audio passing through my AVR to the TV when the AVR is in standby.  I had no issues with the previous DVR and everything worked fine. All I did was swap in the Fios One.  If I power up the AVR the video does pass along with the audio. It should (and did) pass audio AND video to the TV (Monitor) output when in standby. I swapped out the HMDI cables with new ones provided by Verizon both for Fios-->AVR and AVR-->TV just to be sure.  I also tried a secondary HDMI input on the TV.  So, audio+video direct from Fios One to TV works fine, video from Fios One passing through AVR works fine when AVR is powered up.  Video not passing through AVR when in standby.  I guess that suggests an issue with the AVR processing the data stream from the Fios One but it's resolved when powered up.  What could be different about the data stream from the Fios One  compared to my previous DVR?

When you first setup the Fios one boxes they auto detect the capabilities of your monitor. I assume your AVR was ON when you setup the Fios box, so it most likely is set to 2160 HDR video. Apparently your AVR isn't setup to pass that resolution or color space when in standby, or needs to have that option enabled in its menu. Look for an Advanced Color or 4K pass through option on your receiver in the menu. Just to check if its an issue with the fios box, you can set the box to 1080i output and see if the AVR passed that in standby. Also make sure all your HDMI cables are High-Speed certified.

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I'll do some tinkering tonight. My TV is not 4k/HDR capable but my AVR is (Denon AVR-X4300H).  Maybe the Fios One is passing 4k and the AVR is processing it to send 1080P to the TV when powered on.  It obviously can't do the processing in standby mode.  How do I change the output of the Fios One to force 1080P?  I'm pretty sure it already has my TV format set as 1080P.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

You are correct about the receiver. The Fios box is seeing it as a 4K capable device, and is most likely sending out a 4K signal. When the receiver is on, it's doing the necessary downsampling which it can't do in standby mode. To change resolution in the Fios box to 1080i, which is better to use than 1080P, go to: menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video format and change resolution to 1080i. If that doesn't work, post back and I'll tell you how to change it in the service menu. Also check the passthrough settings in the Denon and make sure passthrough when off is enabled and it's set to last used input, or the one the Fios box is on.

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I changed the video format in the Fios box to 1080i and everything seems to be working correctly now.  Why would 1080P vs 1080i make a difference?  I'm pretty sure I always had the previous Fios DVR set to 1080P without problems.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

I changed the video format in the Fios box to 1080i and everything seems to be working correctly now.  Why would 1080P vs 1080i make a difference?  I'm pretty sure I always had the previous Fios DVR set to 1080P without problems.

The reason you want the box at 1080i is because the content is sent to the box in 1080i, or 720P, or 480i depending on the channel. By setting the box to 1080P, the box is doing the conversion from I to P. Odds are your TV has a much better scaler built in than the Fios box has.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes