Fios STB HDMI Handshake problems with Yamaha RX-V465
JDfiosuser

I've had a Motorola DVR STB hooked up to my Vizio 42" Plasma via HDMI displaying in 1080i.  Everything has been great up to now.

I upgraded my receiver to a new Yamaha RX-V465 that included HDMI inputs and switching to simplify my setup of TV, PS3, and BD.  The problem is this.  When I turn my TV off, the FIOS STB does an "HDMI handshake" with the Yamaha AVR and lowers the video output resolution to 720p.  When I turn my TV on, it doesn't "re-handshake" and bump the video resolution back up to 1080i.  However, if I go into the STB settings menu and bump the resolution up to 1080i manually, it displays fine (until I turn the TV off again and it goes back to 720p).

How do I override the handshake and force the STB to output to HDMI at 1080p regardless of what it thinks it should be at?

0 Likes
Re: Fios STB HDMI Handshake problems with Yamaha RX-V465
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you can't override it in the Set top box, but you may be able to do so in the yamaha.  

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

you can't override it in the Set top box, but you may be able to do so in the yamaha.  

I agree with this.  The STB is doing what it is supposed to -- it's negotiating with the HDMI signal it sees when the TV is off and the receiver is on, and that's apparently the 720p signal.  If you turn the receiver off BEFORE the STB and TV, you'll probably not have this STB reset issue.  I've found with my receiver that if the receiver stays on, the STB always reverts back (in my case to a 480i signal).  If the receiver is turned off before the STB and the TV, then the STB always stays at 1080i.  Note that you can set the turnoff sequence on your remote to do this.

0 Likes
jmurphy644

I had the same problem until I set the TV "Scene" to be on HDMI-1 (thats the HDMI input for my FiOS box on the Yamaha).   I think on power up, the Yamaha initiates the TV Scene no matter what was set when you turned it off.....

To set it, tune the input you want at startup and set any audio settings you want.   Push and hold the TV Scene button until you see a "SET" message on the display.    I have the 565 but it all works the same.

0 Likes