Re: Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - CEC and HDMI
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure on this, but I dont think the mini will put out an HDMI signal and a Composite signal at the same time. You may have to remove that adapter before it outputs on the HDMI out. Not 100% on that but worth a try.

Re: Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - CEC and HDMI - SOLVED
mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

So... the answer turned out to be that the TV will only work w/ the Fios box if the HDMI cable is plugged into the ARC port. None of the other HDMI ports will work with Fios. My soundbar is Taotronics which uses the Optic plug and not the ARC HDMI which I thought was reserved for soundbars. I tried the ARC port the other day and it did not work *but* when I renamed HDMI1 (which is the ARC port on this TV) to the name of the Fios Mini box and restarted it all the Fios screen came up and all is well. Not sure if this will fall apart again tomorrow after I turn the TV off tonight but at least now I know the combination to get it to work again. AND I found the info on the Vizio TV ARC port in another thread here where you told the user to plug his soundbar into ARC to send the HDMI signal to the TV. In my case plugging directly into ARC w/ the HDMI cable and renaming it to the Mini box seems to work. At least for now. So you get the kudos my friend and thank you so much!! After it started working I was able to cancel the order for the box converter with Amazon. All's well that ends well. At least for tonight.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear you kept poking at ti until you got it figured out. I'm sure you'll be ok until the next update when everything gets re-named again!

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I spoke too soon. TV was not working again this a.m. with all symptoms returned. Tried the same process that made it work last night but not joy. Had to unplug the tv from the wall and plug it back in to get it to recognize the Mini. Cheers! Maybe Vizio will fix the issue the firmware caused. Either way as soon as BestBuy is open up for biz again I"m buying an LG or Sony

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry to hear that didn't work. Problem is you never know when a firmware update will strike, and what mayhem it will cause! All the pieces are so dependent on each other now that one mistake by one manufacturer throws the whole system off. Good luck with getting a replacement, but personally, I'd stay away from Samsung. A lot of firmware issues there too.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Well I spoke too soon. TV was not working again this a.m. with all symptoms returned. Tried the same process that made it work last night but not joy. Had to unplug the tv from the wall and plug it back in to get it to recognize the Mini. Cheers! Maybe Vizio will fix the issue the firmware caused. Either way as soon as BestBuy is open up for biz again I"m buying an LG or Sony

Got this from support today, you might want to give it a try:

As discussed can you ask any customer with this problem to change the following HDMI setting on their TV:
menu -> Input settings -> hdmi 1 or 2 -> Full UHD Color -> On
If not able to do while connected to HDMI cable, then might have to use Vizio app on a mobile device to make this change.
And then give a try after rebooting the STB, with TV on.  

Re: Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - HDMI
mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi and thank you again. I've done this exact sequence numerous times and it just doesn't work sorry to say. What exactly does the Mini look for? I've tried renaming HDMI1 and 2 to the actual name of the mini IPC4100, etc. I thought maybe it was looking for a name instead of just HDMI1 or HDMI2. Apparently not. I tried the main STB as well and the same thing happens. the 2013 Toshiba tv has no problems at all with either box. I've tried not only the hdmi cables that came w/ the boxes but my own (3 different types) all fairly new high speed certified 4K Ultra HD cables. And they all work w/ the Toshiba tv. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Hi and thank you again. I've done this exact sequence numerous times and it just doesn't work sorry to say. What exactly does the Mini look for? I've tried renaming HDMI1 and 2 to the actual name of the mini IPC4100, etc. I thought maybe it was looking for a name instead of just HDMI1 or HDMI2. Apparently not. I tried the main STB as well and the same thing happens. the 2013 Toshiba tv has no problems at all with either box. I've tried not only the hdmi cables that came w/ the boxes but my own (3 different types) all fairly new high speed certified 4K Ultra HD cables. And they all work w/ the Toshiba tv. 

The deal is the HDMI ports on the TV need to be told to allow UHD in on them. The default is SHD. So you need to go into the port setup on the TV and make sure its setup for UHD/Full color.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok then it's definitely a board that needs to be replaced. All the hdmi ports are set to Full UHD color. Thank you so much for your time and advice. I'll have to wait some months for BestBuy to come fix it as it's under warranty.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

One other desperation try: Turn off all devices then unplug the TV and the Fios box from the wall. Unplug the hdmi cable that goes from the box to your tv, both ends. Leave them unplugged for about 5 minutes. Plug the power back in on the TV. turn it on. Plug the power back in on the box. Hook the HDMI cable back into the box, then plug it back into HDMI1(ARC) on the TV. Cross your fingers and toes.