Re: Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - HDMI
mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry but did not work either. Vizio will service the TV after Covid restrictions are lifted. If anyone reading this has a solution that has worked for them (and is not in this thread) please reply, as it will likely be months before someone actually can come to fix it. I have another year on the Fios contract and after that will cut the cable cord as it's such a hassle when HDMI doesn't work. Thank you to all who have contributed solutions for this issue.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Sorry but did not work either. Vizio will service the TV after Covid restrictions are lifted. If anyone reading this has a solution that has worked for them (and is not in this thread) please reply, as it will likely be months before someone actually can come to fix it. I have another year on the Fios contract and after that will cut the cable cord as it's such a hassle when HDMI doesn't work. Thank you to all who have contributed solutions for this issue.

Ok, I've been assuming you are going direct from the Fios box to the TV via HDMI, correct? You could try a HDMI to Component adapter, or the HDMI 2.2 to 1.4 adapter box from Amazon. Just trying to give you something before they fix your TV.  I know the situation stinks, but somehow we have to fool your TV into thinking the source is something else. Does it work with a Bluray player on that input?

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi. I don't have a Bluray player or do any gaming. Your assumption is correct that I'm going directly to the TV HDMI from the box. I took a look on Amazon and don't know what I'm looking for. Would it be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Converter-Downgrade-supports/dp/B06XC7VLFV/ref=psdc_280341_t1_...

I see so many things there and am not really sure what to get.

The Fios boxes came with red, yellow, and white cables. I have the yellow plugged into the green socket on the back of the tv and the red and white ones to get sound. I get 4:3 letterbox at 480p with this setup. 

The TV gets 4K Ultra HD on Smartcast.

Thank you!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box you linked to may work. You can also try a HDMI to Component converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-Function-Adapter-Support/dp/B01MZYWPHV/ref=psdc_280341_t3...

You'll need cables for it:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B01D5H8C4K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild...

That will give you 1080I and audio to your Red, Green and Blue input on the back of your TV. The other Red and White are for Audio. No guarantees so make sure whatever you buy can be returned.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for these links and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the box. Hope it takes care of the issue until the tv can be serviced. If not I'll try the component solution you posted. Many thanks.

0 Likes
mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: got the converter box and it does work. Seeing 720p HDMI now instead of 480 via cables. HDMI was not working on any port at all but the box makes it possible. I'll take 720 until the tv board can be replaced. Beats 480 any day.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Update: got the converter box and it does work. Seeing 720p HDMI now instead of 480 via cables. HDMI was not working on any port at all but the box makes it possible. I'll take 720 until the tv board can be replaced. Beats 480 any day.

Since you can see 720p, you should be able to see 1080i. The Fios box needs to be set to 1080i as that box is a strictly passthrough device. It says it should also pass 4K, so if you get 1080i working, you might want to give 4K a shot! Glad to hear that is helping.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm returning the box as it stopped working once I turned off the TV. Back to square one with no signal. Once again could not get the signal back with or without the converter. Ordered the component cables and box that you provided a link to in an earlier post. Hopefully that will work. If not then new TV. Thanks for your help once again.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:te:

I'm returning the box as it stopped working once I turned off the TV. Back to square one with no signal. Once again could not get the signal back with or without the converter. Ordered the component cables and box that you provided a link to in an earlier post. Hopefully that will work. If not then new TV. Thanks for your help once again.

My goodness, what's up with that TV?  Did you try input #2 on the tv with the new box? Might work. Seems like every time it accepts a handshake,  it black lists it on the next go around! The component cables and adapter are a sure thing. No HDCP to worry about with analog, so no handshake issues. Just make sure the Fios box and the adapter are set to 1080i.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually tried it on all 3 inputs with same result. It's almost as if there's some type of security thing going on and I have to wonder if it's related to encryption and if the Fios boxes are the culprit. Maybe just not compatible with my TV. Either way if component is sure thing and I can get 1080i will be happy just for that at this point. Paying $200 a month for TV that I can't even enjoy.

0 Likes